My name is Katie and I am new to this forum. I noticed a number of stories similar to mine have been shared, and was hoping that together we could address some of the questions that frantic web searches just don't seem to answer.
My Story: I was recently diagnosed at the ER with a 10cm complex ovarian cyst (with septations and internal echoes... thank Google for helping me through that vocabulary). I was told to seek follow up treatment ASAP- but with no health insurance, several months have gone by and I have yet to find a doctor I can afford to see. I have applied (and been denied) Medical Assistance, and have all but given up on the idea of seeking treatment altogether.
My Question, for those more experienced in this area: What is the risk of allowing a 10cm complex ovarian cyst to go untreated? I am a 24 year-old female- which I understand puts me in a category of lower-risk for developing ovarian cancer. Although pain is present at times- it is no longer persistent or severe- as I believe it would be if a serious condition (such as rupture or torsion) existed. Would it be completely irresponsible of me to "wait and see" if things got worse....potentially for months/years until I am in a better situation financially?
If I shouldn't wait, are there any ways I can follow-up on the problem without undergoing (very expensive out-of-pocket) surgery?
I am typically of the belief that health should be one's "number one" priority, and can not seem to shake the doctor's insistence that I seek additional treatment ...but I simply cannot afford to do what has been recommended. Has anyone else found themself in a similar position? Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Hello, Im in Britain so can't help with knowledge on insurance where you are but i will say, if your cyst (which doesn't sound little) bursts it is extreamly dangerous and painful. You should be having scans and a specialist check, cyst are made out of either three things and can (in extream cases) become cancerous, hence a biopsy being done when they remove it to check for dodgy cells and to test the liquid inside the cyst to be able to tell what type of cyst it is..the bigger it gets the more it can play on your hormones too. I had a 12inch cyst and another two attached to it when they removed it via c-section..as it was too big. It is common tho, i've met so many people that's had this and gone on to never have them again after or it re-occures..you really do need to see someone to get this sorted out...best of luck to you x
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.