Ovarian Cysts Community
Complex Ovarian Cyst in Post Menopausal women

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I went to a GYN for my annual pap and advised her that I had not had a period in 9 months except  for a very heavy period about 2 months prior where I bled VERY heavily for 7 days straight. My normal periods were always 1-2 days long and very light. I told the new GYN that 3 years prior to me seeing her, I had consulted a Menopause Specialist in PA and she confirmed that I WAS in menopause. The GYN didn't seem concerned with what I had told her and responded by saying "We will check it again". And that was that..When she ran my blood work and did an ultrasound, she claimed that I wasn't even IN menopause and prescribed medication to onset a period. The ultrasound showed an ovarian cyst so she asked me to have another ultrasound in 4 weeks.

Two weeks after her diagnosis of NOT being in menopause. I went to see my family doctor about another medical issue and while I was there, I discussed my concerns about being misdiagnosed by the GYN. He agreed to do another blood test just to verify the GYN's results. A few days later, his nurse called to tell me that I WAS postmenopausal!

After my second ultrasound with the GYN, Iher nurse called me to tell me that I had a complex ovarian cyst and that they want me to have ANOTHER ultrasound. I have scheduled that for next week.

Here's my question: What do you think I should do? After reading about Complex Ovarian Cysts in post-menopausal women, I am very concerned!. And I'm not so sure that I really trust this GYN after her misdiagnosis.

Thank you
    I , too , am postmenopausal . I just sort of "slipped"into menopause.. no one checked anything.. I just assumed I was there, when my periods became very irregular and I also had heavy bleeding then nothing., etc.
    All this to say.. I would definitely go ahead with the Ultrasound. Now, is that a Transvaginal Ultrasound or Abdominal?  The TVUS is a much better diagnostic tool. As far as the complex cyst is concerned, it is a little more worrisome in a postmenopausal woman than it is with a younger woman. They may want to do additional tests .. But there is still a 95% chance that it is benign so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm assuming you're not having any symptoms are you such as indigestion, bloating, etc.? Did they say how large the cyst was?
    You may want to check the top right of this page "Health Pages" where there is a lot of information about cysts.
     As far as the misdiagnosis is concerned, I truly wouldn't worry too much about that. I've heard that those tests are inaccurate many times.. Most of the folks I know just considered they were in menopause when they hadn't had a period in a year. (someone said that was a good "test".). It's such an ongoing process I've been told. .. doesn't really happen overnight.
     Good luck with the Ultrasound, and let us know how it goes..

Sandy