Ovarian Cysts Community
Complex cyst ( 7cm)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Complex cyst ( 7cm)

I am posting on my behalf of my wife . Looking at the ultra sound our doctor tell us that my wife has complex ovarian cyst of 7 cm with some nodules in it . She has given the blood sample for ca 125 and we are scheduling a surgery for cyst removal in 2 weeks .  The complex cyst and the size and the nodules are freaking us out . I wanted to know from the experiences of the folks here

a) what is the chance of an ovary removal in the surgery ? Her left ovary is all fine .

b) what is the side effect of one ovary removal ?

My Wife is 34 years old
I had surgery for a grapefruit sized cyst on my left ovary on 10/24. They also removed my left ovary and cleaned a cyst from my right ovary. If my cyst had been malignant, My family was also freaked out. I am told that this is normal.

Don't know the side effects of removing the ovary at this time.
I have not had mine out to say for myself, but another woman said the down time was longer to have cystic ovary out than just the cyst she had both done at different times.. I hope this helps.. I have one cyst that ruptured and another started plus another cycle worried about more.. Im 33 and my dr says I will have to have the ovary out. because 4yrs of almost every month of cyst rupture..

best wishes and post again to let us know how she is and I know what to look forward too :(
I had laparoscopic surgery about 9 months ago to have an ovarian cyst removed. It was a 6cm complex cyst that ended up being an endometrioma. My surgeon had to remove my right ovary and fallopian tube as well. It was my first surgery and I was pretty scared, but it ended up being a breeze. I had little to no pain. The surgeon made 3 small cuts - one on the right side, one on the left and one through my belly button.  Of course, I can't see the belly button one, but the other two are tiny. One of them is no longer visible, and the other one is barely visible.  The only issue I had with the surgery was the anesthsesia...it made me very sick (nauseous, vomiting, etc.)  But, aside from the anesthesia, I had no issues. I was expected a lot of bloating and gas pain, but that wasn't the case.  Didn't experience that.  

My surgeon told me that with the removal of only one ovary I shouldn't experience any hormonal issues...and I haven't.  Apparently, the remaining  ovary takes over and everything is exactly the same as it was before the surgery.

Is your wife's surgeon planning to remove the cyst laparoscopically? Hopefully that is the case because recovery will be much, much easier.  I urge you to find a surgeon that is very skilled in laparoscopic surgery.  

Best of luck to your wife.
thanks every one for the kind responses. They have been really helpful . What i hear is that ovary removal is common, but the side effect of that isnt big in the long term.

We happened to know today that ca-125  is negative. That is a big relief.

>Is your wife's surgeon planning to remove the cyst laparoscopically? >Hopefully that is the case because recovery will be much, much easier.  I >urge you to find a surgeon that is very skilled in laparoscopic surgery.  

Yes, this is a laparoscopic surgery for cyst removal. This is scheduled on nov 8th. Will post the details. thanks !!
Hi BethesdaGirl,

Did they find anything else on your other ovary?  I'm also going in for removal of an endometrioma but mine is 13cm :(.  I'm very scared and trying to figure out if there's any chance the other ovary could be fine.  I don't know if endometriomas are usually only on one side or both.
Hi stnc -
No, the other ovary was fine.  There were actually 2 endometriomas on the right ovary...the larger one (6 cm) which we saw with the ultrasound, and then there was another smaller one hiding behind it that we didn't know about until the surgeon got in there.  Of course, I had endometriosis and some adhesions which the surgeon also "cleaned up", but the other ovary was just fine.  She did mention that my fallopian tube on the left side is "damaged", but she decided to leave it alone (especially since I was having any pain or discomfort of any kind, which she still finds hard to believe). So, she only removed my right ovary and right tube.

Did your other ovary look ok on the ultrasound?  13cm is very large. I guessing if there was something on the other ovary, they would have seen it on the ultrasound.
I mean to say that I WASN'T having any pain or discomfort of any kind.  
Just wanted to update every here that the surgery went really well and she went to work from next day . and no ovary removal and nothing malignant.

thanks a lot to every one !! really appreciate your help and sorry about the late reply !!

sur