Ovarian Cysts Community
Complex ovarian cyst 5 cm.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Complex ovarian cyst 5 cm.

I am 46 years old and there is no history of cancer in my family background. During my annual exam, the dr. noticed that there was an enlargement in my abdomen. Had a transvaginal ultrasound revealing a 5 cm. complex ovarian cyst. I've had a lot of bloating and pressure over the past year, but didn't realize it could be related to something like this. My dr. did a CA-125 on me which came out "32." in the high normal range. He said that I looked like the picture of health and couldn't imagine it being cancer. He is doing another ultrasound next week to see if it has shrunk. At what point do I need to consider surgery? Is 5 cm. considered big? I don't want to freak out and get surgery if it turns out to be nothing anyway. But he did mention that it is a COMPLEX cyst which complicates matters a bit since it COULD be cancer. Any input?
Was the doctor able to determine the type of complex cyst ? There are many types most of which are not ovarian cancer but yes complex cysts have a higher chance. I had two 5 cm complex cysts which originally my gynecologist was going to use a wait and see approach for 3 months. My CA 125 blood test came back at 71 so although not an accurate tool for diagnosing ovarian cancer it told my gynecolgist that my cysts were not going to go away on their own and there was no need waiting three months. I ended up waiting almost that long by the time the surgery was performed and when removed, finally by laparotomy instead of the planned laparascopy, they were 8 cm and 7 cm and I had advanced endemetriosis and adhesions. Good luck and keep us posted !
Mr dr. was not able to determine the type of cyst, but I am having another ultrasound next Thursday. I hope he doesn't suggest a wait and see approach if it's the same size. I will insist on surgery if I have to (especially after hearing about your experience!) I have not had a lot of pain, does that mean it is less likely to be cancer? I guess once in awhile I've had a dull ache here and there,  but mostly from my right side, not the left side where the cyst resides. I almost passed out watching the cyst removals on youtube. I don't know why I even watch them, but for some reason I do tons of research when it comes to something that affects me so much.
Wish you would update...My story is exactly the same...wondering how you made out...hope well :) and that is why you havent been back ;)
Love your top ten. . Love it. This one is going to hard to believe but my ovarian cyst was 23 cm! 9 lbs 8 oz! I am 57 years old. Let me tell you, I feel a lot better after surgery.  Had a lot of health issues in last 2 years. Which have disappeared obviously. Shortness of breath mainly. No real pain until a couple of weeks ago,and it got pretty tense. Had the ct scan and immediately put in hospital! Largest the surgeon has seen. No cancer. So thanks for the top 10.