Ovarian Cysts Community
Complex ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Complex ovarian cyst

Hi everyone, I'm a 34 year old woman who, about 3 months ago, went into the doctor b/c my periods were coming very often and were very heavy.  This had been happening for about 3 months priors to me going to see the doc, and I had been having heavy cramping along with my periods.  Prior to this, my periods were very normal and caused no problems or pain for me.  I'm not sexually active - it's been a very long time - and I wasn't taking any sort of BC before seeing the gyn doc.
Ok, long story short - they did an U/S and it showed a 2.6cm complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary.  The wording is as follows - "The echodensity within the cyst is unclear with septation versus debris.  This is more likely consistant w/ hemorrhagic cyst versus endometrioma."  He also noted that "my endometrial stripe is irregular, consistant w/possible clot versus polyp or endometrial fibriod".  I was told to follow up in 3 months for another u/s and I'm going to schedule it next week.
What do they look for?  If the complex cyst has grown or stayed the same?  If it has grown or stayed the same, would they remove it?  I mean really, how long do they watch these things?!  I don't like the idea of having any sort of mass on my ovary, even though I know it's not "fully" a tumor per say, only parts of it are solid.  I'd rather just have it removed, get on with my life, and not have to worry about this every 3 months.  Any possibility of having them remove it?  What is the usual criteria?  Oh, my CA125 blood test was ok - it was kind of high but nothing that they seemed to be worried about.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help on this!!
Adrienne
They will often wait a couple of cycles to see if the cyst resolves itself but generally if a cyst is causing you a lot of pain, is 5 cm or over or is complex they will remove them.  I'm with you and would want it out if only for the peace of mind.