Constipation after surgery!
I had my 19cm mass and right ovary removed on November 16th. I came home from the hospital two days later. My pain level is not to bad, but my question is.

Is it normal to be very constipated? I haven't gone #2 since the day before surgery. Tonight I am planning on getting prune juice and Sun Sweet "Ones" (individual wrapped prunes)

The nurses gave me a stool softener, which hasn't worked yet. I know because of all the pain meds is it going to constipate me, just wanted to know if anyone else had the same problem.....and if so, what was your solution, and how long after your surgery did you finally go #2 ???

Thank you!!!!
Please help =[
You are on the right track by going towards fiber foods. I did not get constipation from surgery but had the problem prior to surgery. Yes, the surgery can cause this. Anesthesia paralyzes the digestive tract and it slowly comes back. They would not release me from the hospital until I had a bowel movement or let me eat solid food. I was kept on a liquid diet until then.

Actually, I used Fiber Choice when my cyst caused constipation. They are chewables that taste like candy. One in the morning and one at bedtime worked well for me.

Pain meds cause constipation. So do anti-gas meds. It is best to stick to light easy to digest foods for awhile and wean off pain meds as soon as you can do so. My surgeon' s post surgery instructions says that Milk of Magnesia can be used to relieve constipation, but I  prefer to avoid laxatives.

Oh goodness I feel you sister!! I had a 30cm mass removed along with right ovary, right tubes and appendix 5 weeks ago. I had no idea how bad the constipation was going to be. I didn't go for 9 days I was so worried I thought something was wrong with me! No one told me this would happen and I had never had surgery or anything prior to this. I was up all night trying to go and finally was able to the next morning. I had been eating prunes, drinking metimucil and ended up using suppositories which I don't think helped. Once I finally had a BM i drank metimucil 2 times a day and it really helped me get back on track. Took me about 3 weeks from surgery to feel back to normal as far as BM's. Also the more you cut down on pain meds the better! I don't feel like my stool softeners helped me at all either! I wish i would have seen this support site when I was just out of surgery, I had so many questions! Hope you're doing well!!
Thank you both :-) I finally had a bm......prune juice is a magic fruit haha