Ovarian Cysts Community
Could fluid from a cyst wreak this much havoc on my body?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Almost 3 weeks ago I started with pelvic pain and extreme nausea.  My doctor gave me antibiotics thinking it was a UTI which of course, it wasn't.  A couple more visits to the Dr. and 1 pelvic ultrasound later it was discovered I had a 3.8cm cyst with some fluid in the surrounding area.  The last few weeks have been miserable.  Some days the nausea literally feels like morning sickness (definitely not pregnant!) and my lack of appetite have caused me to lose over 12 lbs these last few weeks. I'm lucky to get a piece of toast in me.  Phenergan didn't really touch the nausea and I'm now trying zofran...it takes the edge off but not completely.  I have a dull aching pain that seems to travel from my lower pelvis to under my ribcage.  Sleep is just not happening because I am so uncomfortable.  I saw my gyn on Tuesday and she said that it's the fluid from the cyst (which she says has ruptured) that is causing all the nausea, pain and general uncomfortableness.  Right now I am spotting a bit from my period so I'm sure that's just adding to my misery.  After another night of no sleep (literally) I feel like maybe a trip to the ER is in order.  So my question is....can fluid really cause that much discomfort....and for this long?  After 3 weeks I am so exhausted from not feeling well and I feel like there is no end in sight!  Any input would be appreciated!  
Tags: Cyst, Pain, nausea
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs that form in the ovaries and are common during the childbearing years. Symptoms of ovarian cysts include pain or bloating in the abdomen, difficulty or frequent urinating,dull ache in the lower back, painful menstruation and abnormal bleeding, nausea or vomiting and loss of appetite. If the the cyst has ruptured,  severe pain and possible bleeding internally may be observed. It is best that you have this checked immediately by your attending physician for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
I hv been dealing with ovarian cyst since I was 20. I am now 35. I just had to hv emergency surgery to remove one that ruptured on my ovary so bad that it flipped my ovary and was cutting off the blood flow to it. Fortunately by time they went in to perform the surgery my ovary had already flipped itself an had blood flowing bck thru it,so it was saved. But I hv been told by every specialist,nurse,Dr.,ect that ovarian cyst are consider gynelogical EMERGENCYS and are nothing to take lightly. U should go to the ER immediately!!! Especially if u are experiencing bloating. That is the numbr one sign the cyst has ruptured an the infection could spread n become septic.