Ovarian Cysts Community
Cyst Growing and Painful. Keep Waiting?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Cyst Growing and Painful. Keep Waiting?

I went to the doctor on 11/6 because I thought I had appedicitus (pain on right lower pelvis, nausea, vomitting) and on a ct they found an ovarian cyst which was 3.7cm. My doctor said it would go away in three days. Obviously the pain continued and I had an ultrasound on 11/18 which showed "No evidence of intrauterine pathology. 5.7 x 4.5cm cyst seen within the right adnexal area" I am in much pain but my doctor suggests taking motrin and doing a follow up ultrasound in 3 months. Does this seem right? Just wait 3 months?

And by the way I am a 23 year old that has been on Yasmin birth control for 4 years.

Thank You!!
Your doctor is doing a " watchful waiting" which is very common in following a cyst in someone your age. Usually a cyst will be monitored over a few menstrual cycles to see if it resolves on it's own..
Cysts are very common is young women, but the fact your on the pill should lessen your chances of developing cysts as they prevent the ovulation cycle which is when cysts usually develop. Did they say in your tests what kind of cyst it is? There is a lot of useful information in the Health Forum about all kinds of cysts and treatment which is on the main page of the cyst forum on the upper right hand corner of the page.
It is not unusual for a doctor to wait but if your having a lot of pain then maybe you could ask the doctor do another TV/US in a shorter amount of time. If the motrin is not helping the pain you could ask him for a stronger pain medicine also. I am assuming your doctor is an gyn, but if not, then you might want to make an appointment with one for a second opinion.
Let us know how you make out..
Valerie

I just want to add that if the cyst is growing it could burst so if you have sharp severe pain go to an Emergency room..  when a cyst it larger than 5cms. ( which is not that large but big enough to twist or rupture) many doctors will opt to remove them to prevent this from happening. They don't all do this but there is always the possibility, so if it doesn't shrink in a few cycles you may want to get it removed..
  So sorry you're having so much pain. Unfortunately, the "watch and wait" policy is pretty standard. However, if the pain doesn't subside , I'd surely give him a call. And, if he or she isn't a Gynecologist, I'd really consider seeing one.
   I know the waiting is just awful, but you've come to the right place.. We've all been there, and there is lots of experience on the forum.
   Let us know how things develop for you..

Take care,
Sandy
I'm in a very similar situation as you.  I'm 23 as well, I've been on birth control for years (to help with heavy cycles) and a doctor recently found a 6 cm cyst in my left ovary.  The doctor wanted me to wait 6 weeks, not quite 3 months, to see if it would disappear on its own.  My follow up appointment is in 3 weeks now and I've noticed discomfort lately as well.  I'm constantly tired, nauseous, and feel bloated most of the time.  Not to mention the pain in my abdomen that varies from constant and dull to short and sharp.
I'm with you as far as thinking "waiting" sounds scary, but apparently that's the protocol.  If you're really feeling like 3 months is too long, I would get a second opinion.  If you're like me, it can be taxing mentally just thinking about it being there and anticipating the appt. Three months is a while to have it on your mind.
Thank you for your help! This website has been very helpful. I have an appointment for an ob/gyn in two weeks. She treated my sister for ovarian cancer so I feel she may be better apt to understand my fears. I am still in pain but am getting closer to hopefully seeing that this booger has reduced in size =)

Thank you all very much!