Ovarian Cysts Community
Cyst behind my uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Cyst behind my uterus

I am 18 years old and last year my doctor did a ultra sound and found a cyst behind my uterus. She said it was probably a normal cyst filled with water and not to worry about it. She also found displasia as well and told me to come back in a few months to have it looked at again. Unfortunately my insurance changed hands to a provider that my doctor did not accept and I do not make enough money to cover the cost of all the tests. Since then I have not gotten my period for over 6 months without the use of birth control, I personally do not wish to take birth control to have a period especially since I want my body to be able to make its own hormones on its on. I am also experiencing random bouts of pain and pressure in my uterine area and it feels like I'm having cramps from my period but there is no period. The only way I could describe it to my mom is that it feels like someone is pushing out from my insides. I spoke to a woman who does the needle therapy (i can't think of the word for it) and she said that the cyst might be the cause of my not getting my period. My mom wants me to undergo surgery to have it removed, and I want to have it removed as well. How should I go about this? I almost feel the urgency to go to the ER and admit myself to have it removed but I don't know if there is specific protocol to treating this sort of thing. I would very much appreciate any answers as to what to do about getting a cyst removed when you practically have no health insurance and very little money. I just want my body to be healthy again, this has been a very hard year for me, i lost my closest relative over the weekend and it seems like it's taking a toll not just on my emotions but also my body's regular function.
Tags: help
If you want to save money, the ER is almost always the more expensive route than scheduling this through a doctor as a planned procedure.  

The type of surgery and length of time in the hospital is also anther factor as far as cost goes.  See if your doctor can remove it via laparascopic surgery instead of open surgery.  Most patients go home the same day of laparoscopic surgery.

The best type of doctor/surgeon for removing cysts are gynecologist/oncologist specialists (these are cancer doctors but in the world of gyn, they specialize in removing anything abnormal from the female pelvic area even when benign).  Many gynecologists are also good, but it needs to be one that does a lot of surgery to remove cysts.  The gyn/onc specialist has about 3 more years of training than a gyn, and that training translates to better surgeries.

Displasia should not be ignored either...displasia cells can become cancer if neglected

The ideal course of action would be to ask your doctor to refer you to a gyn/onc and hopefully one that is covered by the insurance you do have.  Either that or seek out a specialist on your own.  There must be a list of doctors that accept your insurance by specialty.  As much as I like my doctors, if I needed to save money, I would be looking for doctors that accept my insurance.

If your ultrasound was a year ago, you really don't know what condition the cyst is in now.  Much could have changed in a year and you need to be examined all over again.

I hope you are able to get the help you need.
thank you so much,my mom took me to the ER last night and they were able to give us a referral for a gynecologist that does laprascopic surgeries. I am well on my way to getting help, thank you for your advice :)