Cysts and a swollen uterus
Im a 45 year old female. I've had four pregnancies and two children. Here's my question.  They have picked up a complex ovarian cyst measuring 7 cm on my left ovary and a simple cyst measuring 4 cm on my right ovary.  My ovaries are enlarged as is my uterus.  The obgyn sent me for  a series of bloodtests to check and see if it is indeed ovarian cancer. When he did the pelvic exam he said the mass on my left ovary is growing into my uterus.
My sister died of ovarian cancer as did my first cousin.    They are pretty sure my mom carries the gene.  My question is   Does the swelling mean things are starting to go bad.   The dr didn't want to talk hysterectomy until I reminded him of my sister. I said even if everything came back benign I'm better off to get rid of everything since my odds of getting cancer are pretty good.  I just wondered what would cause swelling in my uterus is that always a sign of cancer or are there other things. involved. He said if the CA 125 is elevated then I go to an oncologist if it isnt'
then we do a hysterectomy anyway.    Which is good I want to make sure because I've heard the CA 125 isn't that reliable.  Thanks for you hep
Hi there.  Yes, a hysterectomy is definitely in line.  I do disagree with his stand on who to do the surgery.  The CA 125 is not always a reliable test.  We recommend you have a gyn/onc do the surgery.  If it is malignant you only want one surgery and you need them to be able to be thorough and take all the appropriate biopsies.  At the very least a gyn/onc must be on call to do a frozen section test before they close you up.  Do take a look at the health pages for other symptoms of ovarian cancer.  Good luck and please keep us posted.
I have to agree with Trudie if for no other reason than your family history. I know it's not always possible to have a Gyn/Onc do the actual surgery (if they did all cysts surgeries, they wouldn't have the time to attend to the patients that absolutely must have their services) but, at least have one on call.

There are quite a few ladies diagnosed with ovarian cancer who have always had lower CA-125 results. Conversely, there are women with very high numbers that do not have cancer. There are a number of things that can "skew" the numbers.

Regarding the uterus swelling--I'm not sure that it's ALWAYS a sign of cancer so I can't really speak to that. But chances are always good that it's not cancer .. There is still that 95% chance that those cysts are benign, but good to have it taken care of.

When is your surgery? Please let us know how everything is going for you..

Good luck,
Sandy
Thanks My surgery is scheduled for the 21 the CA 125 came back at 20 so that's good they will have a onc on standby if the biopsy comes back  positive I was concerned about the swellng in my uterus more than anything. I now how hard ovarian cancer is to beat my sister was stage iv when they found it so that's why I insisted to get everything out
I think you're doing the wise thing in having the surgery. Better safe than sorry for sure. Please keep us posted on your surgery!

Take care and good luck,
Sandy