Ovarian Cysts Community
Cysts turned out to be Mucinous Borderline Tumors, and ruptured during ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Cysts turned out to be Mucinous Borderline Tumors, and ruptured during laproscopy

Hi all,
I am cross posting this since I think I initially posted to the wrong forum.

I had what my dr. though were 2 dermoid cysts (one one each ovary).  I had a laproscopic procedure to remove both cysts and during the procedure one of the cysts ruptured.  The doctor did no suspect it was a tumor so he did not do anything special (no wash, etc).  

I healed from the surgery fine and thought all was well until I got the path report back, which indicated that the cyst that ruptured was actually a borderline mucinous tumor.  I also did a CA-125 test and the results came back slightly elevated (34ml) The doctor then called and said he wanted to schedule a second surgery to remove the ovary completely.

My main concern is that since the tumor ruptured during the first surgery, it is possible that the borderline cells have spread beyond the ovary into the abdomen, increasing the risk of recurrence to other pelvic areas.  Has anyone experienced that?

Is there anything special that I should request during the second surgery?  For instance, should they do a pelvic wash now, or is that too late?

Thanks!
Hey kowla - I don't know anything about mucinous tumors but I just wanted to make one suggestion. Was the surgeon that operated on you a gynecologist or a gynecological oncologist?  If he is just a gynecologist, I would recommend that you see a gynecological oncologist since they have more experience with non-benign conditions.

Good luck to you.
I 2nd the oncologist visit if the 1st Dr. wasnt. If he was i also might find another.
Thanks. My original surgeon was just a obgyn but I did get a second opinion with a gyn/ oncologyst.  I decided to go with the same dr. who did the first surgery for the second surgery since he is known to be one of the top lap surgeons out there and I know him well and feel comfortable with him.  I wasn't as comfortable with the oncologist, although I appreciated his second opinion.  I confirmed my non-onc. obgyn was doing the same protocol as the oncologist recommended though.