Ovarian Cysts Community
Daughter having a cyst drained

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Daughter having a cyst drained

My 17 yr old went to ER with severe abdominal pain.  Sono found 4cm cyst on her right ovary.  She has had this pain for a while.  Followed up today with gyn.  He said she has suffered long enough and he is going to drain the cyst laparoscopically.  We are scheduled to do it 10/15.  Is this really painful?  How long will she hurt?  I worry that they will keep coming back.  This is the same doctor that diagnosed my ovca 6/2007.  Thanks, Marie
Hi Marie,
    I've not had one drained so I'm not going to be much help. I wouldn't imagine it would be terribly painful as I imagine she'd be "out" wouldn't she. ?And after having the cyst/lovary removed, it wasn't really that painful.The stitiches are a little uncomfortable, but I got off the pain pills the next day since they gave me such a headache ! I just went to X strength Tylenol and that was fine.  I asked my Dr. how to insure that I get no more cysts (in other ovary).. she told me no way really to prevent them I guess some are more prone to them than others.. They really are so common and most of the time they just disappear on their own ... Unfortunately, sometimes they cause problems like your daughter is experiencing. I will tell you though, I had one years and years ago... it just vanished and that was the only one till this year. So maybe she'll never get another.
     Also, she'll feel probably fine in a few days.. I'm way older and you know how quickly the young ones heal ! The stitches came out in 1 week but I couldn't drive or lift anything for 2 weeks. Now, that was with removal.. don't know if the same rules apply for drainage, but they still have to cut so I imagine pretty much the same. I'm sorry she's in pain and keep us posted...

Love to both,
Sandy
Hi Marie,
I have gained a lot of information from this community and have read many of your posts in the past that have helped me a great deal. I am really happy to be able to finally give some information back as I had a large ovarian cyst drained last summer. To answer your question, no draining the cyst shouldn't hurt. I had emergency laproscopic surgery to remove what my doctor thought was an eptopic pregnancy. Well he found the large ovarian cyst and ended up just draining the cyst. From my understanding a needle is used to drain the fluid from the cyst and the remaining skin of the cyst is left to dissolve. Mine did not return, although I have heard from my new gyn that that is a common possibilty. My new gyn has stated that he would have removed the entire cyst so this possibility would have been completely eliminated. They do send the fluid to pathology as they do with everything. I really did not have any pain after surgery. Just a little sore due to the incisions (only two small ones). I was back to working out two days later. Hope this helps.
I had a fluid filled cyst drained years ago , I  had it drained through a laparoscopic procedure and recovered very quickly (a couple of days, it was mainly  the gas pains causing discomfort) . I had two small incissions where the scope went in which were a bit sore but I had dissolvable stitches. I never had another fluid filled cyst after that . I suppose we are all different but it is a very common procedure and the recovery is usually a speedy one, I wouldn,t say it was very painful so try not to worry too much.

Best wishes Angie
Thank you for your help.  She does not want a scar and is really worried about pain.  I am worrried about the biopsy, due to my horrible family history of cancer.  Monday I am going to have my blood sent to the Utah lab for brca gene testing.  My oldest daughter's gyn needs to know the results so he can decide what to do with her ovaries.  I don't know how much my insurance will pay, but I have to pay the balance before they even run the test.  I think the test is unecessary with so much cancer documented in so many generations of both sides of my family.  I think assuming my girls are at risk is an easy call.  Thanks again.  Love, Marie
Marie,
    Regarding the scars.. I only have a little discoloration where the little incisions were. Not really a scar..but I can understand how she'd feel at 17.. Maybe someone younger will check in .. younger gals probably have no evidence after a few months.. Please assure her there won't be that much pain...None really for me and I'm a much older gal!

Please keep us posted on the procedure.. Tell her not to worry, and we'll be thinking of her.. Tell her to read the laparoscopy post from Painterchic.. I'll bump it up.. It's cute, funny and informative at the same time.

Take care,
Love,
Sandy
Marie,
I have had 2 laps and the incisions were very close to each other. One is really low below the bikini line and one was in my belly button (for both laps). The scars are not even visible anymore and one of my laps was done in late April 08 I was able to wear a bikini this summer without any problem.
Hope this helps,
Corky