Ovarian Cysts Community
Dermoid Cyst Prevention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Dermoid Cyst Prevention

I'm 32 yrs... 16 yrs ago I had surgury to remove a 10 cm dermoid and my left ovary. I thought that was the end of it, but last week I had another surgury (laparoscopy this time) to remove another 10 cm dermoid cyst from my right ovary. Luckily my right ovary is still in tact. It turned out I had 6 dermoids lumped together, and the doctor said it's likely that I will develop more. I am eager to find natural ways to prevent this from happening again!!

Has anyone found good resources or information (preferably FREE) on natural prevention of dermoids? I've been searching online and found some "products" about curing ovarian cysts but they seem like scams and I'm skeptical. Has anyone had success with diet, herbs, acupuncture, or yoga preventative methods? I am determined to keep my right ovary healthy and cyst-free!
I would agree that the things on the internet are scams.  I have read where a lot of cysts in general can be due to estrogen dominance.  You might want to google that and look into some of the dietary changes and avoidance of chemicals that that may entail.  Other than that I only know that the birth control pill can often help.
Thanks that's a good place to start! My doctor said the most dermoids he's ever seen at once was 2, and I had 6! So I am very eager to prevent this again. I've never used birth control pill before, so that's something to consider too. Thanks again.
Trudie is right, there are so many scams going on the internet that you have to be very careful.  Have you ever tried being on birth control pills?  That is the only thing I can think of.  Good luck
I see it has been a while since you posted. Have you had any luck with preventing additional ovarian dermoid cysts. I had my first one in 2004 right after giving birth to my daughter and lost my left ovary. The second was 2006 and I had the third in 2011 and managed to keep my right ovary. My ovary was twisted in all three circumstances. The doctors I've talked with can't seem to offer any advice as far as what might be the cause or how to prevent this from happening again. I don't know if I should be looking into a hormone imbalance or where to go next. Has anyone out there had more than 3 surgeries for this? I would like to learn more and I never, ever, ever, ever want to go through this surgery again. If anyone does have to have the surgery and they send you home the same day, please, please get instructions for deep breathing exercises and ask your doctor what you need to do to prevent horrible chest pain as the air from the surgery can cause referred pain. Good luck.
My daughter has had 3 surgeries, the last one while she was 3 months pregnant (in November). She lost her right ovary when she was 19 and has had 2 in the left ovary in the past year (she's 24). I'm wondering also if going on the pill to prevent ovulation would help. And going home after one day is too soon for this painful surgery. If she hs another one, I'm going to make sure she's in for at least 3 days. I don't think she's been on the pill very much but will ask a health food expert what her thought s are. Any advice?
Hi I saw ur comment and I wanted to ask if u suffered from chest pain and pain in your ribs after u had the cysts removed? I 26 and got rushed into theatre 5 months ago and they found a huge cyst on my right ovary which had burst. They cut me in 5 places and now I have really bad chest pain and pain in my ribs. The docs can't find what It is and its really effecting my day to day life. Please, if u or anyone reads this has gone through tHe same thing or had the same pains after the op, please get in touch xxx
SOrry, also forgot to mention for people asking about birth control, I have been on microgynon for 10 yrs and still got the dermoid cyst so it didn't prevent mine..