Just to let you know i had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove a dermoid cyst inside my overy that was about 9 to 10 cm2. ALso am pregnant and the surgery was when i was 18 weeks, all went well and baby is fine.. Thank goodness. I was amazed at how fast i have recovered and have had no complications at all .
Yeah before hand they explained that the surgery may cause me to go into premature labour and lead to miscarriage but they thought the risk of leaving the cyst in there was worse than the risk of removal. I was given drugs before and a week after surgery to keep the womb as quiet as possible which must of done the job. I would say if you could sort out any cysts before you got pregnant would be the best option but i didnt have that one, and it was quiet scary thinking about the risks as by 17 weeks i was quiet attached to the little one!
I was just informed that I have a 2 cm x 2 cm dermoid cyst and I'm 9 weeks pregnant. I'm reading things on both schools of thought on this matter. My docs are recommending I have surgery at 16 weeks. I'm of the opinion to wait until after I give birth since the cyst is so small and is not cuasing me any pain. I know there are risks to leaving it in like it enlarging or turning cancerous. I'd appreciate any advice on the benefits/risks.
I have dermoid cysts on both ovaries. One is 8cms X 6cms and the other 3cms X 3cms. Im 40 and desperate for kids. Basically my consultant has encouraged me to leave them alone and start trying for kids with them in situ. He feels surgery beforehand could leave me infertile (i have lost a tube through previous ruptured ectopic) It surprised me but he reckons the risks are pretty low and I could easily go to full term with the cysts growing inside me.Only if they cause painful symptoms will they consider surgery and thats usually done around 5 months. Also im told only 2% of dermoids are cancerous.If i were you id just monitor them and see how you go.Apparently any fatty tissue around them on the ultrasound is a sign they are benign. Good luck!
I have a 8cm x 6 cm that I am getting removed next week. My doctor told me though if it was even 6 cm or smaller we would just watch it. I can't believe your doctor wants to remove a 2 x 2 ...if it's growing pretty fast then I could understand. I think I would get a second opinion. My doctor got a second opinion on my cyst. Although I have heard that the surgery's go pretty well. I'm praying that mine does next week. Hope this helps
I am 22 weeks pregnant and went in last week to find out the sex of my baby. It's a girl!
Unfortunately, a 13cm x 14cm x 8cm cyst also made it's debut on the ultrasound screen. It sounds ginormous to me. My OB has me scheduled for surgery on 2/11.
We have not had the pre-op yet so I am not completely aware of the procedure, but I realize I will not be myself for a bit after the operation. How long did it take most of you to heal and function normally? And how many actually had complications such as premature labor?
I had surgery in 2006 while 4mths pregnant. I was terrified, but the surgery went fine. I had no complications during pregnancy due to surgery, and my son was born healthy on my due date!
I would say it was about 4 wks before I started feeling more like myself. The first tow weeks were the worst. Walking, sitting, laying down were all fairly painful. If you can try to have someone around for the first week, to give you a hand.
I wish you all the best, and look forward to hearing about the arrival of your new baby girl. Take it easy!
I am so relieved to read all the comments about successful surgeries - I am 10 wks pregnant, with a 6 cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. My Dr wants to remove it at 14 weeks - do you think it is worth waiting longer? Also - is the recovery painful - sounds like it would be not being able to take real pain meds... Does anyone have any stats on how successful this surgery is for the fetus? Thanks!!!
This forum was very helpful for me when I was looking for information. I found out during a catscan of my liver early April, that I had a huge dermoid. I had it removed by laparoscopic surgery last week. I am really stunned that I feel absolutely no pain from the surgery. However, I did have tons of gas and that was very unpleasant. Lots of ginger tea and magnesium cytrate helped with that *ick*. I had no need for the pain pills provided. What I'd like to know, is how long do I have to wait before I can resume having sex with my husband? I'm going for a followup early next week so if I get an answer from the doc before seeing it posted here, I'll let you know. :-)
I am 15 weeks pregnant. At 5 weeks pregnancy we found right ovarian cyst measuring 5.9 cm. At 13 weeks it had grown to 8.5 cm. Doc wants to remove it ASAP. I am trying to seek a 2nd opinion but doc wants to do surgery sooner rather than later due to growing uterus. Because of the size and because it's partially solid we can't do laproscopically; I need to be opened up. Has anyone had this surgery (opened up)? I am so scared. I know they say the baby should be okay but I wonder how anestesia is going to affect the baby. Also, how long should I expect to be out of work? The timing of this is terrible. My husband and I are moving next week and my sister-in-law's baby shower is the week after. Will I be able to do anything to help?!
I went for my dating scan on Wednesday and after seeing the baby and having the emotional rush and amazement of that they found a cyst 14cm x 13cm x 7cm, I am going to see another consultant for a 2nd opinion as the 2 doctors i saw on Wed were divided whether to leave it in(until after labour) or take it out..
I am 14 weeks pregnant and have been reading that safer to have the op in weeks 16 - 20
Also one doc said they would have to remove my left ovary as well - am praying my right one is fine
I am so scared of losing the baby but reading about these success stories is really helping me
I am also interested in hearing about recovery times and also the time you spent in hospital and whether anyone else has heard about better to operate weeks 16-20?
I will let you know what I find out tomorrow as hopefully may help some of you too as these larger cysts seem to be much more rare
I am so glad I found this website. I am 9.5 weeks pregnant and at 5 weeks I found out that I have a 5cm X 5cm dermoid cyst on or in my right ovary. I found out about the cyst and the pregnancy at the same time when I went into the emergency because of pains on my right side. I am really scared that the cyst may twist or rupture and I will have to have emergency surgery. I have never had anesthics before and scared that I may react to them, and cause even more risk to the baby and myself. My Doctor is saying we are going to leave it and hope that it doesn't cause any problems and then we will remove it after the baby is born. I am scared that the uterus growing may cause it problems. I have been getting some discomfort ont he right side around the area where my ovary and the cyst are and then it kind of goes down my leg, but they don't know if it is from the cyst or the uterus growing and stretching liaments. Has anyone else felt this? I am attached to this baby already and I don't want anything bad to happen, so it has me a nervous wreck, especially because I am so early in pregnancy yet and if something where to go wrong with the cyst now it would be more of a risk for the baby. Also, when I am full of gas or am starting to get constipated it seems like it causes me more discomfort in the area around where the cyst is, would it be possible that it is pressing on my bowel when my bowel is full or something? Has anyone else experienced this with their cysts.
I am 25 years old. I am 19 weeks pregnant and was just told I have a golf ball size cyst/tumor on my left tube/ovary. The doctors want to do surgery right away since it wasn't present at my 12 week ultra sound, which seems to suggest that it is growing at a rapid pace. I am nervous about the affects this will have on my baby as well as the recovery process. I have a 19 month old already that I have to take care of. The doctors don't know anything about the cyst and said they won't until they biopsy it. I haven't even spoken to a doctor yet. My obgyn nurse called me yesterday to tell me. I have many worries, concerns and questions, but no doctor to ask! They are supposed to call me, and I know they are busy, but I hate being told something by a nurse and no follow up. I have never had problems with cysts that I've known of, so this really freaked me out until I have researched a little more and found it is more common than I thought. Thanks for all the posts friends! It has helped ease my mind considerably.
This may sound silly, but I've been having weird symptoms that I didn't experience with my first baby, which makes me think it has to do with the cyst.
First being, random stomach spasms (hard to explain) while moving around or straining my muscles too much. It occurs randomly, but frequently enough. It just feels like my stomach muscles are weak and almost non-existent. I have always been a pretty active and healthy person too. I have never felt weak like this before. Again, could be a normal pregnancy thing, but it didn't occur with my first.
Second being seriously blurred vision. I have a hard time focusing my eyes close up. I just got glasses for being near-sided a year ago, but never had issues reading or being on the computer. Lately, it's hard for me to focus for too long writing emails, reading etc. It's like the beginning of a migraine, but the full migraine never comes. Seeing double and blurred vision does make me sick, but I can stop and start feeling better keeping my eyes closed. Again, I can't imagine how this could or would have anything to do with a cyst, but you never know! I am no doctor!
Anyways, if anyone has insight on these issues, I would love to hear from you!
My friend has a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst on her right ovary. This morning she was on the table in her gown and all about to have surgery to get it removed when they abruptly stopped preparing for the surgery because a urine screen indicated pregnancy. She had no idea, her last period was 10/20. This cyst has been very painful for her. the doctor explained she could be pregnant, it could be an etopic pregnancy, or her hormones are screwed up beacuse of her cyst. The drew blood today to confirm if she is pregnant and how far along she may be. They will results tomorrow. She was told if she is pregnant with a baby, the growing fetus could/would push against the cyst and cause even more pain. Has anyone ever been pregnant with a cyst of this size? or heard of the cyst influencing an etopic or false-positive pregnancy? Unfortunately they sent her home as she anxiously plays the waiting game for blood test results.
I am 18 weeks pregnant and had open surgery 4 days ago. The worst part was pre surgery because I was scared out of my mind. I got to the hospital at 1:30 PM ET and was in surgery at 4:30. I don't remember anything but going into the room and seeing all the doctors. About 7 PM they kept calln my name saying my surgery was over and I was in recovery. I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and I'm finally feeling better. I couldn't eat too much until yesterday. The first day there was a lot of pain but I have a high tolerance for pain. The baby is fine and I am going to find out on the 27th what I am having. So don't worry too much. Hold onto your faith and you'll be fine.
I hope someone is still out there checking on this forum. I will be 15 and a half weeks pregnant for my surgery, which is scheduled for this Thursday. I am TERRIFIED for the baby, as many of you ladies felt/feel as well. I have a 10cm dermoid on my left ovary and the doctor is guessing that I can undergo laparoscopy and he'll remove the ovary as well. He says he doesn't want to spend any extra time in there trying to find normal ovary tissue since A). my right one is healthy and B). more time under anesthesia means more risk to baby. IF this is done via laparoscopy, I'm praying for a short recovery time. What were your recovery times? Also, did your surgeon do a gasless laparoscopy? Thanks!
I had a dermoid cyst 9cm during my pregnancy and was strickly advised by my first OB that I must have it removed at 13 or 14 weeks, so I sought several second opinions, which gave me the option to wait and monitor the cyst thru out the pregnancy. So I opted not to get the surgery during pregnancy, and take the small risk of the possibility that it could twist or cause pain. I made it through with a healthy birth and healthy baby who is now a toddler and plan to have a laproscopic surgery next month.
Hi guys, I had an internal scan about 2/3 weeks ago, because of severe pain I was having on my left side, a pain that I felt like a strong stretching pain, and very unbearable, same pains in which I had when being pregnant with my now 5 year old daughter. Doctor found a 6.4cm dermoid cyst in my left ovary, I was quite surprised as they didn't pick this up before in previous pregnancy because of the same pain experience, and I had never heard of such a cyst before, she gave me the information (told me not to go on Google) but it was only natural for me to do so! I was very nervous and worried as obviously google showed the worst case scenarios! They also found I was pregnant, which I was shocked as I felt I didn't have any previous pregnancy symptoms and also had regular monthly periods (and was on cerazette), I'm yet to find out how long I am, but will await for another appointment in a weeks time. Following this, I had an appointment on Thursday with the gynaecologist, in which they confirmed I had a small cyst on the outside of the right ovary in which they needed to remove immediately, and do further test's on, i'm yet to find out whether it is cancerous, and was given a small keyhole surgery, which I'm recovering rapidly from, there was some abdominal pain, and a bit of itchiness and stinging from the incisions, but I was awake when this was done, and was able to leave soon after surgery, but yet again I think it just depends on your body for recovery, I'm used to pain at the moment in my life, so some pain I feel is normal! Whilst discussing with the doctor he discussed that because of the size of the cyst they will have to remove the left side ovary because of the torsion occurring, but because i'm pregnant it's a bit difficult. They gave me two options, to have surgery in couple months time for me to remove the cyst/ovary whilst still occurring the pregnancy or to wait the pregnancy out and have a 1/2 month premature C-section to deliver child and do removal of ovary at the same time. This forum has reassured me so much that I'm feeling to wait the pregnancy out, with regular check ups and have the removal after delivery, but what I wanted to know was what are the risks to the baby? and maybe any risks to myself? My head is all over the place, but any advice I would be extremely grateful for, thanks guys.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.