Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Dermoid ovarian cyst

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Dermoid ovarian cyst
I had a Dermoid ovarian cyst removed from my right ovary over a year ago. 5cm Ever since I've been having pain (which I didn't have before the surgery) and pain right before and during my period. My periods have been on time but very strange. Im having bad cramps, strange bleeding at times i even stop bleeding for a day then start bleeding again. Never happened before. I am wondering if I should be concerned I have another. I went for a pap smear and they said they didn't feel anything unusual. I am sceptical because they had trouble finding tre first one I had the only reason they found it was from the ultrasound they gave me when I was pregnant. The first technician couldn't "find" my ovary because it was enlarged.I don't have insurance to go get a sonogram to check it out.
Dear Shanmas, I'm sorry you've been feeling these symptoms.  Sometimes when women have ovarian cysts and then surgery, they cyst can recur and this can be the case with dermoids--often they can be very small and not seen on ultrasound until they get much bigger.  But also, sometimes after pelvic surgery, women can have more painful periods and discomfort on the side where the cyst was removed.  It is good you at least had an exam and pap smear, because if there is nothing very enlarged about your ovaries, that is good news.  The most ideal situation is for you to have an ultrasound, but if you cannot afford this right now, you could consider going on a birth control pill to see if that helps in the meantime and then keep up with simple follow up with your physician.  Good luck and take care.