Ovarian Cysts Community
Dermoids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Dermoids

HI, Today i was told by my doctor that i have approx a 2 cm dermoid on my left ovary. She explained to me that this will NOT effect my chance of ever bearing children, but i do have a few questions.
1.)  Is this genetic, IE if i do end up getting pregnant in a year or two is there any change my baby will have deformalities of dermoids on face or anywhere else?
2.) My doctor told me i couldnt do anything about the dermoid at the moment .. she wants me to wait another 6 months and the re issue more ultra sounds,, Am i panicking or over reacting when I think to myself that 6 months if far to long to wait!? I want it out now
3.) Should I request a ful body MRI scan to make sure i dont have them anywhere else in my body?
4.) Should I request a Blood test to make sure its not cancerous? Even though the chances are VERY low..
Im so scared/... Well not scared.. more or less i feel deformed, and or disgusting. That i may have a sack with a tooth growing in it!! I really just want it out by like i mentioned, my doctor told me i need to wait 6 months. But I want to look into getting a second opinion But i dont want to over react. I find this to be quite embarrasing. Im sorry that any of us have to go through this discomfort, But i guess i must consider myself a lucky one seeing as i have no discomfort or pain, i just have weird cramps occasionally which is why i ended up getting an ultra sound and inding this out. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!:) I just need someone that knows what its like to talk to.. Every one else Just tells me not to worry.. but u know how it is... Easier Said than Done.  Just post messages n here and i will be sure to check the site out daily:)
In January 1998 I had 2 dermoids (4 cm and 6 cm) and a cyst removed on my left ovary.  Everything went fine till I had little cramping on left side in August 1998.  So I went back to my gyno, had ultrasound and a dermoid of 2 cm grew back.  My doctor told me as long as it does not get bigger and I have no pain and no irregular periods it will be fine.  But he wanted me to have an ultrasound once a year to see if it has grown.  Well it's been 11 years now and I still have my 2 cm dermoid, with no pain and my periods are still regular and I am 49 years old.

Hope this helps.
Hi B0073,

I know just how you feel. I was diagnosed with a 5cm dermoid about three months ago (am actually going for surgery tomorrow for it) and went through very similar feelings of being disgusting, completely not sexy, and a freak...  Of course, we are NOT freaks and we are NOT disgusting!! Many tumours contain different cells and "interesting" (my term for it lol) features within them, and dermoids are actually a very common form of a benign tumour.

It took me quite a few months to process my feelings but I really found that coming on here and reading and speaking with many other women who have had dermoids made me feel much MUCH better. I was normal!!

You are correct: dermoids can turn cancerous over time, but usually it takes a long time for that to happen and they are usually slow growing. Your doctor is right to suggest looking at it in another 6 months, but if you have serious fears that it might be cancerous I would talk to your doctor. The other issue is that although ultrasound technology has VASTLY improved they still don't know exactly what they are dealing with until they go in take a look. They will do a biopsy then. My problem is I am having ever increasingly painful and debilitating periods and have difficulty even having sex as a result of my dermoid.

I actually did talk to my doctor about doing blood work (CA125) and she told me that sooo many diff things can raise your level of CA125 (including growths like this) and that the medical community does not take the test seriously. She told me I was young (I'm 32) and that an elevated test level wouldn't even bump me up the wait list. Still, I think it's worth talking to your doctor about. Re: your other question, I am no expert! but my understanding is that ovarian dermoids are distinct from other dermoids in the body in that we can grow them at any time (they are germ cell tumours) but that other dermoids are usually present from birth.

I'd keep a real close eye on how you feel and talk talk talk to your gyno, and perhaps also your gp.

Good luck!!
Hi B!  

I felt the same way when I was diagnosed in February with my Dermoid Cyst (6cm x 7cm on my right ovary). At first, I was thoroughly disgusted and repulsed, but then my sense of humour came back and it is just weird.  The good news is that most dermoid cysts (98%) are benign! Did you see the movie 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'? There is a scene when 'Aunt Voula' describes her 'evil twin' which is a dermoid cyst located on her neck. It is hysterical!!!

Kimmery, I hope you read this. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow and please post as soon as you feel up to it. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, April 2nd and I would be grateful to read your posts about your experience. I will post mine as well and we can compare. I just found this forum the other day and I am so glad that we are not alone!!!!
Best to all!
Kittycoo.
Last week monday i was rushed to the ER and discovered i had a 10cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary. It contained two teeth and some hair ( Very Scary). I had a laparactomy done to remove the cyst along with 90% of my left ovary. The doctor said i should still be able to have children. Aparently, the disease is just one of those things in life that can happen to anybody. I am really a health workout person, who dosn't mess with her vegetables.

I am currently recovering from sugery. Life does goes on. Be strong!
did anyone put weight on ????  i have a 4cm dermoid on my right ovary . i have had  dermoids removed from both my ovarys twice before. first time i was 16 wks pregnant, second time was after i had my second child. now 8 yrs down the track its back in the right ovary. now 2 yrs ago it wasn't there and now it is 4cm. i think it will have to be removed ,my worry is  i have gain nealy 5 kilo in the last 4 months,can they cause weight gain????