Ovarian Cysts Community
Diagnosed with 1.9 fibroid and a 5.4 ovary. hat does it mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

50 years old and postmenepausal for 21/2 years.  I have no symtoms (symptoms) but was diagnosed to have a fibroid at 1.9 and ovary at 5.4, with 5.0 being not to worry.  So im scheduled to have a biopsy, but don't know what to make of any of this.  Help...
5 cm is a size when many doctors start to recommend surgery. After menopause, even more so. With a family history of breast cancer (which could have some link to ovarian cancer) then waiting is even less advisable. Most cysts are benign, but the more risk factors a person has , the more it makes sense to opt for surgery...and if you really want to remove the fear of ovarian cancer from your life, then have both ovaries removed , too. Since estrogen seems to be food for certain cancers, ovary removal may reduce your breast cancer risk somewhat. Learn more about the fibroid , too. If the doctor thinks it needs to go, you are better off fixing all problems with ONE surgery and put less strain on your body by avoiding future surgeries.  I had a post-menopause cyst and had both ovaries removed with it. My surgery story is in my profile. If you live where specialists like gynecologist/oncologists are available, that is the best type of doctor to see. Best wishes. I
know this is terrifying, but a lot of us have gone through this and tested benign. Cysts cause a lot of symptoms and reduce our quality of life substantially, so surgery even for the benign ones can be worthwhile.
From everything I have read, a biopsy of a cyst is a waste of time.  The whole thing needs to be removed and tested.  At your age and post-menopausal status. any type of cyst should be removed.  Do you man 5.4 cm?  That is big enough for surgical removal. The fibroid is less of a problem.  Fibroids usually shrink after menopause...so if it is not causing problems, it can probably be left alone.
Hi MarieMichele,

Thank you for your words of wisdom!  Yes I mean  5.4 cm.  I was told that 5.0 cm is nothing to be concerned about.  However, 5.4 cm raises a series of questions for me.  Like I said, I'm 2 1/2 years post menepausal.  My mamogram (mammogram) exam came back good!  My family history is my mom and sister passed away from  breast cancer 3 months apart, and my dad passed away from having cancer also.  So I'm kinda fliping out right about now.