Ovarian Cysts Community
Don't know if I should wait or have ovaries removed pronto.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I'm 60 and I'm post menopausal 3 years now. I have a cyst on my left ovary that my gynocologist has been watching for a year and a half or more. Last October, the ultrasound showed it had grown a little from 4.2 cm to 4.7 but my CA125 was OK. In January, it was the same size but my CA125 was slightly elevated. My CA125 has vascillated between normal and abnormal the whole time I have been watched with readings always close to the 35 point. Recently, I met with a gyn oncologist and had a another altrasound done at her office. The cyst hadn't grown but now appears to have two compartments where before it was a simple cyst. I also have a new simple cyst on my right ovary, 2 cm. My CA125 was 28. I have the choice of removing the ovaries now or waiting for another ultrasound in June. My Gyno-Oncologist thinks we are dealing with benign cysts but of course can't guarantee this. She also said that sometimes ultrasounds are not conclusive. On the other hand, she seems to feel it would be safer to remove the ovaries than not. I've read that the ovaries after menopause still continue to provide protection from heart disease, osteoporosis, and dementia. I don't want to take out ovaries that could protect my health unless there is really a danger of cancer here. I'm also aware that ovarian cancer grows fast. My mom developed breast cancer at age 59 and I'm keeping that in mind also. I don't know what to do and this is driving me crazy. What would you girls do? Any advice. Thank you so much
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Although the ovarian cysts may appear benign, there can be no guarantee in view of your age and family history of cancer. You have two options. One is a very regular close follow up and the other is a definitive surgery which takes care of the matter once for all. The protection offered by keeping the ovaries at the age of 60 years is debatable. And also you have the option of HRT if that becomes necessary at a later date. Discuss with your Doctors.
Hope this helps.