Ovarian Cysts Community
Dull Lower Back Pain and Other Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Dull Lower Back Pain and Other Symptoms

Hi everyone.  I'm new and have a question ~ actually a lot of history first (I posted this another forum and thought I'd also try here)!  Last Nov '07, I went to a regular doc because I had an enlarged lymph node on one side of my neck.  He did a bunch of blood work and a sonogram and did note that it is slightly enlarged but it didn't show any abnormalities, cancer, etc.  Nothing in my bloodwork either except that I'm menopausal (I was 43 at the time and just turned 44 in June); one of my levels for something that determined that was twice what it should be.  He said the node might be a precursor to something that hadn't manifested itself at that time.  I got a second opinion from an MD/surgeon who corroborated what he said.  I was told I could have it removed but it wasn't recommended and I should just keep an eye on it.  Fast forward to Apr '08.  

My periods have been getting irregular for the past couple of years.  One month would be fine, then I'd have another in 3 weeks, then I'd go for 6 weeks with nothing, then they'd straighten up again.  On average, they've been every 3 weeks and heavy.  I wear 2-3 pads at a time and they last almost a full 7 days, sometimes with dime-sized clots or tinges of clots every now and then.  Needless to say, I go thru a package of pads every month!  

In Apr '08, I had a consistent back ache a week before starting my period.  It basically went away when I started.  The next month, I got a back ache again and it lasted somewhat throughout the period then went away.  This past period, however, it didn't go away.  I've had a dull lower back ache now for about 3 weeks.  Sometimes, I will have a twinge of pain during intercourse and most times lately, I do have it like the day afterward.  I've been gaining weight since last year and it's been getting harder to maintain my weight.  I exercise regularly:  5 days a week, I do an aerobic exercise using Brenda Dygraf's air stepper.  They average 20-30 min. a day.  I walk everyday with my dog (about 15 min.) and I go up and down my stairs about a dozen times or more a day because our computer room is upstairs.  Two days a week I add weight training.  I'm getting plenty of exercise and watch what I eat.  My stomache is always bloated ~ I can't believe how much it pooches out now and I can't get into my clothes.  I feel like I'm killing myself trying to stay in shape.

My question is after all this:  could my enlarged lymph node be associated with the lower back aches which could possibly mean a cyst or endometriosis?  I have a call in to my gynecologists' nurse to see if they can get me in quicker than 20 Aug because this lower back pain is terrible!  It's really debilitating, especially when sitting.   I think there's definitely something wrong and wonder if that lymph node was the precursor to what's going on now.  Could it be cysts of some kind or something else?
lymph nodes can come from anywhere from a cold to cancer ... when they are isolated to one side and one spot it is usually from somewhere in that region (since it was on ur neck it could be from your mouth or nose or ears etc) since they tested it for cancer and reactionary it seems it would be a minor indication at best ... i would strongly lean towards the endometriosis and they will have to confirm that with an ultrasound (they will also check the whole genitourinary region and order blood tests so if its something else it will show up) and always ...ALWAYS get any menstrual changes bowel or urinary syptoms (symptoms) checked out even if u had already had some or all of your reproductive parts removed

i am so not a practicing medical professional ... my vocabulary is just plain weird
prayers for luck
sharon
I agree with Sharon that the two are likely not related.  However, you are on the cyst forum and your back ache, pain and bloating could definitely be due to ovarian cysts.  Do check it out with your doctor.  Good luck!