Ovarian Cysts Community
Extreme Pain on Right Ovary!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Extreme Pain on Right Ovary!

Hey there! I wondering if anyone has experienced my symptoms, and can lend some advice. Im 26yrs old and had ovarians cysts when i was a young teen. After having 2 children i had an IUD placed about a year ago. My monthly periods are usually regular and dont cause pain. Since last month, when on my period i have extreme pain on my right side, feels like someone is sqeezing my ovary. I am now experiencing the same feeling, along with lower back pain that receeds down my thigh. Im having very heavy bleeding ( changing about every hr. to hr. & 1/2) and clots the size of nickels to quarters. Im experiencing nausea, and the past two months having intercoarse is extremely painful, but usually the pain is only on the right side. I'm worried this could be a cyst. Do they tend to cause more pain w/ menstration? Can they cause painful sex? When should i see a doctor? Any advice or someone who has had similar symptoms is very very much appreciated! God Bless! KIM
Take the time for yourself and get an examination. Busy mom's tend to put themselves last but that is not good for us. It sounds like a cyst that is not going away with menstruation. Do yourself a favor and call today. Nothing to worry about but the longer you wait the longer you will remain in pain. Not a great way to live. I have had excrutiating Low back pain and cramping for 7 months and now I am being treated for my cyst. Take care of yourself.
I just noticed in your message regarding an IUD. You should get an exam in case there is a problem with the IUD that would warrant immediate attention.
Thanks so much for taking the time to lend me some advice. yes, as a busy mom i do put myself on the back burner. Im going to call today and see if i can get in to be seen. I'm finding myself having to stop when doing things because the pain is so horrible. Does the pain come when the cyst is rupturing or can it cause any damage to the ovary itself. Also, what kind of problems can IUD's cause in this case?? Thanks so much for your time and help! Kim
It sounds a little like endometriosis , you may want to suggest that to your doctor to look into.
I had pains similar to what you're describing. For me intercourse was painful, moving certain ways, etc. i always had an ache feeling on my right side, and the pain would get stronger if it was too busy at work etc. And I had ovarian cysts. Last april it was on both ovaries, after laproscopic surgery to drain them, the cysts came back, but cleared up on my left side after being back on birth control.  However, my right ovary, had not cleared up. By Oct 2010 the cyst had gotten back up to 5cm(was originally 7cm when we did surgery), so i was booked for surgery for Feb 2nd of this year.

I would absolutely take the time to make an appt to get looked at. You shouldnt be bleeding that much I would explain that to your dr too how much you're bleeding. Make sure that everything is okay with IUD.

Well with IUD, i dont know a lot about them, but i know you'll want to make sure it didnt move. I know they've progessed a long way since my mom had one (19 yrs ago) but with her, hers turned into and IOU and got pregnant with my brother. So you want to make sure that wasnt the case with you and that its not an ectopic pregancy, etc they'll want to rule out everything.

And you didnt mention, but if you're using tampons i would stop and switch to pads until you've spoken with your doctor.
Well i did end up going to my doctor and after taking one look in that region, she sent me to the ER. After many test (all urine and blood work was normal< no infections, as well as everything was fine with my IUD)  an ultrasound, and finally a CT. They found fluid in my pelvis that lead them to belive i had a ruptured ovarian cyst. I had a follow-up 3 days later with an OBGYN Specialist and i was still bleeding and in pain. She said she agreed with the diagnosis but said that cysts don"t usually rupture during your menstral cycle. She sad that from here on out i have to really listen to my body and monitor that pain and my cycles. Over the next few months we will se if i get another cyst or if one can be seen on an ultrasound.
She suggested i switch to birthconrol, but due to the hormones i get horrible migraines, hence the Copper IUD w/out hormones. Basically it migraines or possible repeat ovarian cyst. Wow.. really!

Thanks so much for all the advice ladies, im hoping to be 100% very soon. As i still have pain from time to time and spot everday. God Bless!