Ovarian Cysts Community
Extremely Emotional- 1 Week Post Op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Extremely Emotional- 1 Week Post Op

I am on my 8th day post-op. I should also add I am only 15 and I know this is rare in someone so young. I had my surgery last Friday (now it's the following Friday). I had a laparoscopic removal of an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit and removal of my right Fallopian tube. Since Monday after my surgery I have been EXTREMELY emotional. I will cry at anything. I feel decent physically, just a little tired and a little soreness but other than that I seem to be fine. But I almost constantly feel emotional, really sad, and I can't focus on anything.
I've gone to school a little this week, I did one full day and that was Wednesday. Other than that I went in for only a period or two.
I got my first period yesterday, exactly one week post-op and it is a little rough. Very bad cramps, mainly just heightened symptoms of my normal menstruation cycle, which I think is to be expected.
I don't know what this emotional issue is! Is it from something involving the actual procedure or is it totally mental? It's really starting to worry me so any advice would be appreciated.
It could be totally hormonal.  When a pal of mine was on estrogen for IVF, she cried at cat-food commercials on the radio.  It's possible that the cyst had been doing something to the hormone messages coming from that ovary, and now with it being gone, things are doing to be kind of wacky until your body gets settled down to the new reality.  Your other ovary will be taking on the job of ovulating each month, as opposed to the every-other-month schedule it used to have, and that also might be a bit of a hormonal roller coaster at the outset.

Talk to your doctor about it, and try not to worry.  My sister lost an ovary to torsion when she was 17, and it never slowed her down.  She got pregnant on the first try, she had normal periods, she hasn't gone through menopause yet but seems on all the normal time trajectories.  You should fine.

Again, if your body doesn't settle down by the next period, call your doctor.  They can run some hormone tests.

Take care!  I'm glad they got the grapefruit out.  :)

(((HUGS)))

Annie
Did they say if you had Endometriosis or anything else? Just the cyst?

I had surgery on Feb 28th and I feel down a bit, tired, emotional etc. I think its because they rattle around in there and the ovaries might get moved around etc and it could temporarily change your hormones. It will take a couple of weeks to recuperate so be patient on your self and please rest for at least another week.

Laps are a very normal procedure even at your age so please don't worry as cysts happen all the time to many different women.