Ovarian Cysts Community
Follow up MRI this weekend, then what??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Follow up MRI this weekend, then what??

Hi all

So I guess I'm just sort of wondering what they are looking for and what kinds of questions I should be asking. I had a TVUS last week due because I has having increasing pelvic pain and new low back pain that had been going on for several weeks. I've known I had fibroids for a while now and I've had cysts come and go so my gyn decided to order the test to see if maybe I had a cyst rupture or something else going on with the fibroids since the last TVUS was done in June 2013.  

Here is some of what the report says:

Myometrial Echo Pattern: Left-sided anterior mid-partially exphytic lesion is 3.9 x 3.4 x 3.9 cm
Dorsal partially exophytic fundal lesion is the dominant lesion and is 6.6 x 5.5 x 5.8 cm. These lesions are consistent with fibroids/leiomyomas.

Right ovary: Length: 3.5 AP 3.2 Width 2.9 Volume 1.8mL; Right ovary complex lesion is identified. This is it the nearly half solid and half cystic. Lesion does not exhibit the characteristic reticular/fishnet weave pattern of a hemorrahagic ovarian cyst.

Left ovary: Length: 2.9 AP 1.2 Width 2.8 Volume 5.2mL:  Normal

Cul-de-Sac: Mild to moderate free fluid present.

Impression: 1. Uterine leiomyomas. These can be reassessed on subsequent studies as needed. 2. Endometrial echo complex is unremarkable. 3. Complex right ovarian lesion. This does not have the characteristic ultrasonograhic features of a hemorrhagic cyst. One may wish to pursue further evaluaton with MRI of the the pelvis without and with contrast. Chief diagnostic concern is that of the right ovarian neoplasm.

Also, when they called to tell me the results they said one reason they MRI was needed was because the fibroids were blocking the view on the ovaries and it was hard to get a good view of it.
Forgot to add that I am 32, have no children.
Uterine fibroids may be blocking the view but from the ultrasound also, right ovary is showing a complex cyst. Complex ovarian cysts are generally benign. The risk of malignancy is generally higher among postmenopausal women. Get a MRI done to evaluate further.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Pelvic MRI went well, not as claustrophobic as last time I had one. Wasn't prepared to have that big thing laid across me, while I was in the tube but I survived. Now the waiting begins.