Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Hemorrhagic endometrioma

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Hemorrhagic endometrioma

Hi.
I am a 36yo white female. I had a hsyterectomy 4 years ago for menorrhea. Both ovaires were left. Recently I went to the ER with abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea. After a CT scan the MD stated that I had some cysts oon my ovaries and to follow with my OB, which I did. I had a pelvic US and the sonographer said that  I have a hemorhagic endometrioma, pelvic fluid, and cysts on my l ovary. How can I have a endometrioma when I no longer have a uterus and is that the correct term? Will the pelvic fluid make my abdomen bloat and will I need surgery?
It is not uncommon for women to experience all different types of ovarian cysts, even after a hysterectomy.  Sometimes pelvic fluid and larger cysts can cause bloating and lower pelvic/abdomen discomfort but not all cysts and fluid need to be surgically removed right away and sometimes can be observed.  Hemorrhagic cysts or blood filled cysts can be part of a normal ovary's function, but certainly can be painful when the rupture, but then this sometimes help them resolve quicker.  I would continue following up with your gynecologist to be sure things don't get worse and to be sure you don't need to have this removed.