Ovarian Cysts Community
How Long Does Bloating/Gas Pain Last After Laparotomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Hi.

I had a laparotomy 4 weeks ago to get a 6cm ovarian cyst removed from my right ovary due to endometriosis.

I had a bikini cut about 4.5 inches. Right now, my abdomen is still very swollen. I still feel a lot of gas and bloating, which gets worse around late afternoon to night time. (Why does it get worse at night?)

The doctor told me the wound would take around a month to heal, but the gas takes longer to go away. Is that true?

The area around my wound is still painful, but the most painful is the pressure from the bloating and gas.

And I feel like I have to go pee very often when I feel gas pain because it feels like the pressure from my abdomen is squeezing my bladder.

How long will this bloating pain last? I can't fit into any of my pants right now. I have to wear dresses all the time!

I'm also taking simethicone tablets now. But they don't seem to work very well to alleviate the gas pain.

What can I do???
Mine lasted about 9 weeks but I think I'm a worst case scenario for that.  

It seems that low impact movements, like walking, are the best remedy.  Rubbing/massaging the abdomen (gently) in a circular motion seems to move the gas as well.  The gas is trapped in the abdominal cavity so I don't think medications with simethicone do much good (that stays within the digestive system, but the gas is not really there).  

Gas was my WORST side effect of the surgery.  I was more tolerent of the pain from the healing of the incision, etc., than I was of the gas pain.

Move about gently and it will bring some relief.
Wow I am glad to hear you feel exactly like I do. I am 5 weeks after my laparotomy to have bilateral 7 cm cysts removed due to endemetriosis and I don't fit into any of my clothes either ! I have been told this is called muffin top or swelly belly but I am getting frustrated. I posted the same question as you and got different responses, I think the gas will go away soon enough but the swelling can last for several months I think and get worst when you over exert yourself, I have also gained 5 pounds but I don't know if it is because I am not as active as I usually am but I definetely don't fit into my pants either. Lets hope we get some answers, I have been walking everyday but although better than right after surgery, my body is no where near what is what before.
The gas pain and bloating is also my worst side affect so far.

My swollen stomach area is so tender to the touch, that I feel so much pressure inside when I press on it.

When I feel the gas pain more at night, I also feel like I have to pee more often. I don't know if any one has experienced this also??????

When I walk it feels like I am carrying a rock in there. I am getting frustrated as well, I feel like this will never go away.

You are like me and you have endo and the gas and bloating can be symptoms of your endo. In any case as I mentioned I have the same symptoms and I am almost six weeks after my laparotomy for removal of my endo and my two chocolate cysts.
Well, my gynecologist told me that the gas/bloating is because of the air that got inside when he cut me open. He told me that it could last up to 3-4 months before my stomach will become completely flat again. But I had a friend who had the same surgery done a year ago and she told me her gas/bloating went away in 4 weeks. So I guess everyone's different?

I also had similar bloating symptoms before my surgery, which was caused by my endo adhesion, a 6cm endometrioma cyst. But my doctor said that I shouldn't have anymore endo symptoms after my surgery because the adhesion cyst was already removed and he cleaned everything up.
Well I guess every doctor is a bit different, my gynecologist said that the endometriosis is a disease with no cure we can clean it up but you still have it and she also said that Irritable bowels can go hand in hand with endometriosis. I hope she is wrong, but I must say in my case I have had gas and bloating and constipation for years. It is encouraging to know that the bloating due to surgery can last for 3 - 4 months, my doctor had said that it lasted only a couple of days ??? So six weeks later I just assumed it was still Irritable bowels due to the endo.
Geez, this is so frustrating.

This is my 8th week after my surgery and I'm still bloated!!!!

The area right above my incision all the way up to my belly button is still puffy and swollen. At nighttime the bloating is so bad the area feels painful when I press on it.

The worst part is the bloating doesn't seem to be getting any better from this point on. I see no improvements at all.

Your gas is lasting about as long as mine did.  I also thought it would never go away, but it did.  I had that "rock" feeling for months.  Nurses and friends recommended adding ginger to tea and such (which I did, but not every day).  Maybe that will help?  There are a lot of side benefits to adding ginger to your diet. Do a Google search for ginger tea and you'll see all the talk about it.
Don't give up I am finally starting to see an improvement and I am almost at 10 weeks now. !!

Try to go for walks alone. I find I have expelled quite a bit of gas while walking. Also try to watch what you eat for the next couple of weeks not to eat food that give gas. My stomach also gets worst at night. The doctor told me it is normal because we use our stomach all day and it is still sensitive so by the end of the day it starts to swell up again. Also we eat and so sometimes by the end of the day it is bloating. Me too the area gets sore by the end of the day especially if I didn't stop all day. I still don't fit into my jeans but at least I am starting to get pants into some of my pants. I thought I would have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe !!

Are you fitting into your clothes yet ?  I actually put on 5 pounds and I am convinced it was all gas and swelling weight not actual fat weight gain.

Did you gain any weight since surgery ?
I know I am VERY late to this discussion, but it helped me so much!  Bloating is definitely my worst symptom and I felt like there was something seriously wrong.  I am not yet 3 weeks post op and I can only fit into a few pair of pants (that were big on me before the surgery).  Just wanted to say that it is so good to hear that my symptoms are normal and that with time (hopefully) they will subside.  

I had a 7lb (yes, 7 pound) ovarian cyst removed when I was 23, (which was 5 years ago now) and I still have gas ALOT and it's horrible.  I went on the pill right after the surgery because they did half of a hysterectomy on me and since I was so young, I was hoping to have kids someday.  I have gained about 60 lbs since the surgery- and I was (and still am) very active.  I was a size 4 when I had the surgery.  It ***** and I have had more pain in the past 5 years than I ever had pre-surgery.  I'm hoping I am a rare case, but I want to know why I have so much gas 5 years later!  
im slightly worried about my op. im overweight and after the doc has scared me with his risks etc i am a little unnerved! im having an 11 cm cyst removed by laparotomy and am having the insision down my tummy from my belly button down. has anybody had a similair op at a weight of 20 stone or above? xx
Hi all, one week today i am having my cyst removed, i do not have endo, the consultant feels it is due to having been on the progesterone only pill for over 8 years.  i have recently lost 5 stone so this is soul distroying. i look pregnant my pants don't fit, when i go back to work my uniform won't fit. and i made my boss promise me she would never let me have a bigger uniform. i would like to know if you get this message how all you ladies got on back in 2009.  having read your story i am now more frightened
I am so glad it's not just me being a fatty!!I had a laparoscopy to remove a cyst a week and a half ago...still bloated and it's made my body shape look so ugly

I'm very hourglass and my clothes are all quite fitted and I look awful in everything at the moment-awful awful awful
I started jogging again but I still look like Mr Greedy-when will I get back to normal?
For the last ten years I kept telling and showing my doctors about my pea sized hernia that got to be the size of a walnut, to no avail.
Tuesday night it was so painful and red,so I went to my primary doc and was sent to ER for emergency surgery.
I question why nothing was done til it became an emergency!!
Now home I am suffering from excruciating intraperitoneal gas pain.
And wonder why, before stitching me closed, that there was no effort to eliminate at least some of it !?
It cannot be passed either orally or rectally since it is in the body cavity.. So how does one get rid of it??
Don't know how much more of this pain. I can take.
My stomach looks like I'm 9 months pregnant!