Ovarian Cysts Community
How fast does a dermoid cyst grow?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

How fast does a dermoid cyst grow?

I was recently told by my gyn that I have a 5cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary.  I had an ultrasound in Nov. 05 because of pain on my left side.  I was told that I just had some small cysts.  I also was told I had a fatty liver.  My doctor said we will just watch the fatty liver but in June she sent me for another ultrasound.  Then I get a call from there office saying I still have this fatty liver but also have a cyst and they refered me to my gyn.  I finally see him almost a month later and he says I have this dermiod cyst and it has to come out.  I will have the full surgery on August 15th to remove my left ovary along with the cyst.  I have had 4 c-sections and he said it will be much like that as far as recovery.  

I am having more pain then I have had before.  Not doulbed over pain but more constant ache.  Could this thing be growing still more if it grew that fast in Six months?  My doctor told me that the chance of cancer is pretty low.  I am glad of that.  I am almost 41 and done having children.  My mother had breast cancer and eventually died of liver and colon cancer at age 57.  I want to be a healthy grandmother someday.  

Anyway, thanks for listening.  I have been reading others post for  awhile.  You all are so supportive to one other.
Dermoids can grow quickly or not at all... it just depends on your body. My cyst was smaller than yours, and I had the same constant ache. Size of the cyst doesn't matter to pain relation; there are women who had like 15cm cysts and never had any pain!
Dermoids do not resolve on their own... they do have to be removed. Surgery isn't that bad... you'll feel like heck the first day or so, and it improves pretty rapidly from there.
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
hi   i have a 17cm dermoid cyst (from hip bone to hip bone) however they did not tell me the length ?? within the last day or so i am unable to sit comfortable as it seems everything is getting stuck under my ribs it feels like being 9 mths pregnant.  i am now getting a pain which feels something i can only describe as a cheesewire being pulled around my rib cage and back.  my friend suggested this could be trapped wind as the last few days i have only been able to eat small amounts. sometimes i also feel a little nauseous (did i spell that right)

could this cyst have grown over the last 10days (scan date) i am seeing gyni next monday?   any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

just like to add this web site has been a great help to me .

shopaholic  uk
xx
I think you can't really judge by others in this regaurd...everyone is different.  I had a dermoid cyst, and it grew from about 5 cm to 20 cm in 2 months.  I had no pain, but an enormously distended stomach among other things.  There usually isn't a textbook situation, so you have to be in tune with your body and tell your gyn. onc. everything that's going on, whether you feel it's related or not.
Hi there and welcome.  Dermoids are by nature strange things.  They can contain hair, teeth, bone, skin etc.  I had 2 softball sized dermoids along with my left ovary and 90% of my right ovary removed 12/21/05.  We believe that I had mine for over 1 year.  They are also 99% benign.  You are wise in seeking medical attention.  The growth rate just depends, but they are usually slow growers.  Since they do not resolve on their own, surgery is a must.  You do not want to risk rupture or torsion.  Also, the true dx cannot be made without pathology done on the tumor.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I too have a dermoid - mine is 4.2 cm x 3.2 cm x 3.0 cm....really ugly too.  I finally got to see it on a US yesterday - it is full of fat & calcified bone.

Fortunately mine has not grown since June, but I am experiencing a bunch of symptoms that seem to be realated to the dermoid.

Originally my gyn thought something else was wrong as his opinion on dermoids was this:  if it is less than 5 cm, it can stay in the body for most of your life - if any pain is felt, then surgery MAY be considered.  I am experiencing extreme bloating, back pain, upper right rib pain, nausea, frequent urination, changes to my bm's, extreme fatigue, and leg swelling.  Thankfully an internal specialist has given me a clean bill of health (with the exception of the dermoid), so I know that my symptoms are related.

Dermoids can do funny things to you....afterall they are really not supppose to be there.  You are very wise to seek medical attention and have it removed.

Like many of the other women here have said, 99% of the time they are benign, so hopefully that should put your mind at ease.

Have you had a CA125 blood test done?

Let us know how your surgery goes...we will all be thinking of you!
Dana
What does a CA125 have to do with Dermoids? Please explain why one would need this test?  And why wouldn't the gyn suggest it?

And I too as just told i have a dermoid 3cm that must come out. I am not convinced it MUST come out espec. from what i have been reading about less than 5cm dermoids. But i am scheduled to go for another pelvic ultrasound.  I do not have a gyn/oncologist. Just a gyn.

Do i need to find a gyn/oncologist?

Sorry so many questions in one mail..

thanks
tess
Hey no worries about the questions.  We've all been there and this forum is incredible for helping you work out your anxieties & worries.

The CA125 test is to try and rule out cancer.  Although the CA125 test is not entirely reliable (sometimes you may get a false positive for other medical conditions - such as an ovarian cyst - or a false negative - sometimes ovarian cancer does not give off sufficient tumor markers until later stages) it is a uesful tool when used with the US and other tests.

As you have probably read, dermoids will not resolve on their own, and the only way to really know what the 'tumor' is made of is through removal.

There is a 1% chance of the dermoid being malignant (look at kelly22's posts - she was unfortunate to have the malignant variety of dermoids - or immature teratoma (sp?)) so a CA125 test may help rule out cancer.

I am in Canada, and do not have the worries of insurance issues - but our doctors can be quite stubborn.  My doctor is simply a OB/GYN and I believe he is an excellent doctor. He does not believe in performing surgery simply for the sake of it - he would only perform the surgery if it met his criteria (i.e. over the 5cm mark, CA125 levels raised, symptoms, etc).  He's been in the medical society for a very long time so I believe that he would not steer me in the wrong direction.  I did however get a 2nd opinion from an internal specialist - this was to rule out any other medical issues with my body, and also to reinforce my gyn's diagnosis.

Surgery is something that you should not rush into, but if it is a recommended procedure and you are not comfortable with the reasons behind the recommendation, maybe try to get a 2nd opinion.

As for finding a gyn/onc I am not sure what to tell you.  Maybe someone else in the forum can give you better advice.

Remember, the questions asked here are ones that we may have all thought about at some point in our journey!

Take care,
Dana
Thanks to all of you for your help.  I will be waiting and ready for this to be over for all of us who are going through this waiting time.
My cyst was less than 5cm, and my insurance paid for the entire surgery. If surgery is something you want, most will look at it as elective. If it's something the doctor recommends, then there should be no problem with insurance paying for surgery unless there's something specific in your plan. Call your ins. co and discuss it with them....they'll have your plan specifics and can let you know up front if something isn't covered by your plan.
Be sure you have specifics, though. It's really hard to say something is covered if you're just being general (ie. are tests covered... well, what kind of tests. Blood tests, urine tests, biopsy, etc. Things like that). I work for an insurance co (I'm an adjuster), and while not people medical, I at least know how it works.
Hang in there and keep us posted!
~Marianne
The 5 cm is from the insurance companies.  Most will not pay for the surgery if the cyst is less than 5 cm.
~Tascha
What characteristics have they seen on US to determine that it is a dermoid. My reason for asking is that although, yes they can grow that large, it is a little big for a dermoid. Mine was diagnosed as a dermoid right from the word go but at 20 cm's there was this little niggling doubt and I was right, it was a benign mucinous cystadenoma. Also the symptoms you describe about it suddenly feeling bigger also applied to me. It was as if as soon as it was diagnosed I became so uncomfortable I couldnt even sit properly in the car. It was actually pressing on my diaphram. I put it down to the pressing and prodding that ensued after the US to be honest.

You thoughts?

Anna x

Sorry Linda couldn't resist I just love it (grin)

thank you for your reply an xray showed up teeth so then i was sent for usound where they showed me them.  have you had an op to remove your cyst and if so how was it done am i going to have a large scar and what is recovery like ?? i am so nervous about surgery.
Dermoids can be rather large.  I had 2 12inch diameter (30cm) dermoids removed 12/21/05.  The only way to truly determine what they are is to have them removed and biopsied.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I had my dermoid cyst removed. The operation was small and simple because they just opened one hole in the bellybottom to put in the camera, tv
Thank you for your reply. I heard form my gyn after the second sonogram that my 3cm derm grew to 8 cm and she wants me in next week to remove it. I have had three sections, a fourth section to repair a hernia and now i will be opened for a fifth time on the same set of scars. I am not at all looking forward to this and neither do i feel there is enough time for a second opinion. I have not had time with her to discuss details, this CA125 test that i have not had done yet. It's been 6 years since i have had to undergo anesthesia so i have no clue about all that. But thank you very much again. tessc
I have a cyst in my pelvic area that is 4cm they are not for sure where it is because it was not something that they were looking for on the ct and they now need to do a pelvic exam, I am haveing terrible contipation and my stomach is very bloated I am also very tired!!! Does anyone know how fast a cyst can grow? I just got my ct done on aug 22 and I look like I'm about four months prego...I don't get the pelvic exam done till this week some time.
i have just found out by accident that i have a dermoid cyst on my left ovary. this was by chance as i had severe back pain for 2 months and the doctors thought it was my kidneys. i was sent for a renal ct scan and have just spoken to the urologist who say's a dermoid cyst has shown up. i now have pain in my stomach.
im now worried as i have had this pain since october and cant get an appointment for an ultrasound until january. will this time delay have much of an affect on the cyst and i dont understand why it is being so delayed when i am in agony!!
any help or suggestions would be appreciated  
Hi GreeningStar

Hopefully I can give you something to go on. When I went to my annual gync appt on Oct 12th, and they did an ultrasound because casually I had brought up some symptom I've had which I thought had nothing to do with the gynco dept, but she sent me down to do a vaginal ultrasound right away that day and lo and behold, they saw 2 big cysts, one was 6.5 cm and the other I know was over 6.0cm, do not have the actual measurement. But she wanted to do a follow up ultrasound scheduled for Nov 6th. And the ultrasound showed that it had not gone away or reduced in size. I just had a laparoscopy on Dec 6 and had my left ovary removed. She is pretty confident by what she seen that the dermoid cysts are benign. She has sent them to pathology and I should get the results in a few days. But I am not worried about it as I know 99 percent of the time dermoid cysts are benign, and the fact she was 'confident' it was benign. Before hand, I had the bloating, the pain on the side and the middle which I had chalked up to my colon giving trouble. I was so way off. and my back hurt, and I was tired all the time. After working all day in an office, I was just wiped out and knew I shouldnt be. I chalked it up to age. Im only 45..lol.  But what I started to say was the cysts was still the same size from Oct to Nov and Dec. Im sure it varies with everyone. But dermoid cyst is what you are born with according to the way my gync explained it in simple terms. Some grow and some do not. If you have a dermoid cyst, you were born with it. I think from now to January will not affect you as much as waiting for the appointment. Its just the mental part of the waiting that drives you crazy. Believe me I know. If you want to have an appointment earlier, you could always all another gyncologist and get in earlier. But if you like the one you're going to go so, and I would make sure it was a gyncologist specialist and not a regular doctor that you go see for the ultrasound. I had the surgery on Thursday and here it is Tuesday. I dont go back to work until Monday Dec 17th, which is this coming Monday and Im doing pretty good. Sore but doable and no problem with walking and getting around. It actually feels better to get up and walk and stand. So if you have a laparoscopy surgery, believe me it's not bad at all. I was dreading it so bad and never been put under and Im just really pleased that the experience of surgery was not bad. If you have any other questions you want to ask me, let me know.
Hi.I recently had to go to the hospitol because i was and still am having bad pain on my right and left side of my stomach.They did a cat scan and found i have a large dermoid tumor(the size of a soft ball) over my right ovary and found a large mass over my cervix.They also said my white count is high too.I go in for surgery Jan 22,2009 and i was wondering do i need to be worried?
I was taken to the ER on the 16th of December with on a scale of 1-10, pain that was a 9-10. I don't have insurance, and can't pay the bills. the doctor told me I have a Dermoid Ovarian Cyst on my left ovary the size of a baseball, and an unidentified mass in the right side,  When they sent me home bent over, and really didn't do anything except let me suffer, and two CT scans, they said to get to a doctor within two days if the pain did not go way. I told them I don't have any money. So I have suffered with extreme pain since that date. I fall between the cracks when it comes to getting assistance, so I can't get any help for this condition and my disability. I don't know how long I will last without care, or without it surgerically removed. I only have the choice to go with alternative methods, and I have faith in it, but the reality of surgery in there--all the things I can't get taken care of.  So I guess my body is creating a "Dermoid Ovarian "baby" since they get to be 17", and at 62, I will look like I am carrying a bady. I already look about 4 month pregnant and can't wear my cloths even though the rest of me has lost weight everyday. I don't know what to do in this situation.I have made phone calls to every organization on earth it seems, but people just dont seem to care, and I fall between the cracks.
Please do not ask a question on the bottom of an old post.  We now have an ovarian cyst forum.  Do create your own post there and the ladies will be sure to assist you.
MedHelp moved your post to the cyst forum so I will answer your question here.  I am so sorry you are having these problems and have no insurance.  I am a Canadian so I don't have much to offer on the insurance side.  Do talk to your family doctor to see if there are any programs for people that might help that he can get you in to.  

I am very concerned for your health.  The pain alone for large masses like that putting pressure on your internal organs is agonizing (I had a 16 cm one).  Did they run a CA-125 test?  Did they give you any idea what the other mass was?  I am quite concerned that at your age you are having multiple issues plus losing weight.  This is your life - can you not contact Medicaid or a church or someone to see if they can help you to get the surgery?  Did they give you anything for pain?  
I am unable to get any help anywhere. Medicaid is a joke. They don't want you to have any assets above $2000--nothing.  Medicare, I am not eligible for until I am 65. I won't go into details about all I have contacted, but I just simply fall between the cracks, and can't get help. The hospital has a charity program of some sort, and they are going to send me an application, but I may not qualify for that. It's all a long, one of a kind story of what has happened in my life in the last five years, that has placed me in this situation. The "Social Services" system in this country will not help those of us who fall into a category they don't support, yet need help--even if it is temporary--hopefully--and I have a letter of total disablility because of Fibromyalgia and a list of other conditions. Even the doctors admit that you have to jump through all the hoops of fire and go through all the red tape to get anyting at all. And then there are those of us who "fall into the cracks"....Oh well...don't know what to do now that I have called every agency I can find out about, and am unable to receive any kind of financial or health assistance.  
I am truly testing the "alternative" methods of health care, but after reading all I have read, it makes me think this thing might kill me before anything can be done. I'm not afraid to die, but this is rediculous not to be able to get help from any assistance program.
I had a total hysterectomy on January 14, 2009 (uterus, both ovaries, tubes and cervix all removed per laproscopic surgery).  I had a dermoid tumor on my left ovary about the size of a medium baked potato that had been causing me discomfort/pain/symptons since last July.  Due to a history of DVT and pulmonary embolism (I have been on blood thinner -- coumadin -- since 2006), my doctors took a very slow approach instead of jumping into surgery.  In September, I had a DepoLupron shot that put me into menopause with the thought that the reduction in estrogen might shrink the mass ... it didn't.  The symptons were wearing me down (bloated, felt three months pregnant, bowels had changed drastically, painful to sit for long periods, etc.).  I'm home recovering and each day is better than the previous.  Due to the extent of the surgery (they had to move the bowels quite a bit based upon where the mass was and they also found a Brenner tumor (also benign) on my right ovary), I expect to return to work within 10 days.  Not going to rush it; the stress of the past six months has worn me out and I'm going to make sure I'm as close to 100 percent as possible.  I don't have anything to add to this forum but am thrilled to find it because until you've been through this, you just don't understand.

The one piece of advice I would offer is, as women we know our bodies better than anyone.  Don't ignore changes in bowels, constant lower back aches that never go away, bloatedness, frequent urination.  While most of us were fortunate to have benign masses, there is that chance of malignancy. What I'm most looking forward to post-recovery is a peace of mind I haven't felt in months.  Not looking forward to hot flashes but that's for another forum.  :)
At age 50, I had one removed Sept. '07.   My gyn told me it was the size of a rugby ball which is bigger than a football.   Complete hysterectomy.   Mine had burst too.   Grew from my left ovary, across to my right side, up the right and below the ribs.  Said if I hadn't had it removed, I would have died it was so big.   I was distended and looked like I was pregant.  Because it had pushed things aside, he more or less had to put my insides back in order.  
I guess I should have said mine was benign.  But I agree with CathyN.  ladies should you notice ANY changes in anything get to a Doctor!!  
I am a 26 year old female from Toronto, and I just had my dermoid cyst removed from my right side. In the past 4 months it had grown from about 8.9cm to 20cm.
I had never heard of Dermoid Cyst's before I myself was diagnosed and it really took me finding the perfect doctor in order to be even told that it was actually that which it was.

I went to the Emerg. due to SEVER pain and was given antibiotics for urinary tract infection, Morphine, and IV. The next day i was called back into the emergency room still in pain for Ultrasounds.... 12 hours later a doctor told me that i had cancer and that my right ovary would need to be removed ASAP... meaning... NOW.

I decided to get a second, third and forth opinion and am actually really glad i did because my cancer was actually my Dermoid Cyst and post surgery i am feeling a bit rough but i think i can handle it for the most part. I still have both of my ovaries even though they were sure that they would have to remove the right one. The Laparascopy took longer than anticipated but it got the job done and with minimal scarring.

The most painful part I have to say was the stray gas that was stuck in my shoulder...   it was painful and made breathing, talking, EVERYTHING sooo painful i didn't  knoow what to do with myself... but my friends midwife told me to work it out.
It's been a week i'm still using a cane and haven't really gone anywhere because i'm not 100% but every day is better and i'm feeling stronger.
Hey, I am 25 years old and I have a history of bad period pain and non-regular periods.    Anyways, for the last month I have been having off and on ovary pains (like period pain but no period).Although this last week gone i noticed way more pain in my right ovary.  About a week ago the doc put me on the pill, which since i started taken, despite affecting my mood significantly, has stopped alot of the dull pain).   I had an ultrasound yesterday and had a sneak peak at the Xray before i go to the doctor in 2 days. I noticed that my right ovary is WAY bigger than the left (13mLs verses 3-4mLs in the left) and the black bit (Corpus Luteum - thing that makes the eggs), is huge too - the same size as the left ovary. i am so worried about this situation and feel so stressed i can not wait till i see the doctor (although i have to).

How can i tell if it is a Dermoid or a corpus leteum cyst?!!?!! any main differences to spot?  thanks
I just recently went in for just a plain old annual pap and pelvic exam  and they found a 10 cm x 15 cm dermoid cyst completley covering my left ovary. Iam only 22 yrs old and Im scheduled for surgery june 16th to have it removed and I am very very scared about it I have never had abdominal surgery before and I heard it is very painful afterwards. I want this thing out of me but very nervous at the same time. Any words of encouragement? :(
i went to an infertility specialist to start an IVF procedure and while he was doing an ultrasound (screaning) he found a 7cmx10cm dermoid cyst.
I had a failed ivf on November of last year and after that they told me I had a residual cyst of 2 cm. is it possible that it gre from 2 to 10 cm in just 6 months?
I scared to death of what this cyst is. I got a second opinion and the dr daid it was a dermoid cyst too and that it contains mostly fat
I am 33 yrs of age and had an abnormal papsmere a couple of weeks ago and had an ultrasound yesterday am.  They said I have a 10 centimeter ovarian mass and that I need surgery asap.   Any advice?  anyone knows how this "surgery" takes place?  Is it vaginal or they actually open your stomach.  I am so scared.  Please advise!  
I am 28 and recently was taken into hospital with severe stomach pains.  They thought it was appendicitis but after loads of tests found that I had a dermoid cyst on my right ovary.  I had a laparascopy done as they weren't convinced what was wrong with me and while in there they found that the cyst had ruptured and the fluid had leaked into my abdomen which had caused the pain.  Although the cyst was only 4cm it is causing a huge amount of pain and I am now schedueled for more surgery to remove it.

I agree fully with Helenab, that gas was more painful than anything and I ended up getting morphine to try and ease it off. You may not need to get this though, the doctor explained that while getting a laparascopy they have to inflate your stomach with gas to look around properly and sometimes they don't get all the gas out so it floats around you.  The pain redirects from your diaphragm to your shoulders for some reason.  But as said you may not need to get this done.  

The actual pain from the surgery was ok and after only three days I stopped taking the painkillers.  Obviously it was sore to sit/lie in certain positions but it's really not that bad, more uncomfortable, I was walking around like a pregnant woman holding onto my swollen belly for about a week lol.  

My surgery was performed firstly through the bellybutton and then they made two other incisions, one on my bikini line at the hip and one further down on my pelvis, to get into the abdomen to remove the fluid. They have explained that to remove the cyst it will be pretty much the same but maybe on the opposite side.  Most things are done now through keyhole so the scars won't be large at all.  Try not to worry, it's a really common condition and gaurenteed your surgeon will have carrried out this procedure hundreds of times.  The scars will be very small and discrete and will fade in time.

You will be bloated and swollen after the surgery though, my clothes didn't fit properly for about 6 weeks after so make sure you have lots of tracksuits bottoms or loose fitting skirts as you won't want anything rubbing on your stomach.  I became slightly constipated as a result of the surgery too so make sure you drink as much water as possible and eat loads of fruit!!!!

Best of luck with it and feel free to ask any questions.  
I am schedule to have  laparascopic surgery to remove a  7cm dermoid cyst  on Aug. 18th, how long was your recovery period?
I was out of hospital three days after the surgery but should have been quicker.  I'm diabetic and had some complications.  I was walking around normally within a week.  First few days were tough but after the 5th day the recovery process was very quick.  I'd advise you to walk around as much as possible once you can, as you'll find your system is shocked. I couldn't eat for almost 4 days after as my food wouldn't digest so felt stuffed all the time. Once I got moving around things started getting normal much quicker. I was back to work within two weeks but was taking short days as the aesthetic knock me for nine so was really tired, but third week was back to full health.
my daughter is 23 years old she has 2 cyst one is 16 cm and the other is 20 cm she has no insurance and we cant find anyone to help us no hospital no doctors i have called and all but beg for her some help she is in so much pain all the time if there is anyone out ther who can help us please let me know it is so hard being a mother and watching your child hurt and cant help her  
I'm 34 yrs old. I also have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I found out about this when I went to my OB and told her that I'm having backpain and bloating usually when I'm having my period. She advised me of having an ultrasound and after that we found out that the cyst is 3cm in 2008.

Also, we're trying of having a baby but don't have success for more than a year. The last time I talked to an infertility specialist, I had my MRI done by that time and he told me based of the result of the MRI(Dec 2009) that I have a 6cm cyst and it has to come out or I will be in emergency if it twisted. I told him we will think about that, then I met with our family doctor and he received my OB's letter informing him of my case. My family doctor said that if we're still want to have another child (i had a 4yr old son), I can still try to be pregnant before they remove the cyst because there's no guarantee that my ovary can stay once they remove the cyst.

So, my worries is who should I listen to. The OB who said that it should come out now or our family doctor who's still giving us a chance to have a another baby so we can be a complete family. I could say that i'm in pain and that troubles me but I can tolerate it for the sake of still trying to be pregnant. Is it risky to be pregnant when you have this kind of cyst? Please advise me. Thank you.
i had my first US in oct 2009 my cyst was 26cm. it is now march 2010 and i have had a ct done and  the cyst has grown to 33cm. my back hurts so much. my gyn told me she cant do the surgery because she not sure if the cyst is canceroius. she has referred me to another doctor. why do doctors do this i need to have this thing removed from my body before it grows any bigger and causes more problems. what kind of surgery do u think i will have does anyone knows how big these cyst can grow?
From what I understand, if you do have 1 ovary removed, your fertility is not affected as long as your other ovary is unharmed.  My doctor told me the other ovary basically takes over for the one that is removed and you can still conceive just as if you had both ovaries.  The remaining ovary supplies the egg each month for ovulation and there is no reduction in your chances.  However, you may have an increased chance of developing a cyst in time on the other ovary, which could require removal.

I hope that this helps!  I'm going to have to have my dermoid removed and likely an ovary also, but I've been told I can still have a normal family.
I am 26 years old, and was just told i have 2 dermoid cycst, one on each ovary.  One is 3cm and one is 4cm.  I have had infertility issues,  and my fertility MD wants them removed.  Im concerned about being able to have baby's after surgery.  Has any had children after having theses removed.  Im scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks.  T
I just found out I have a dermoid cyst on my left ovary and I'm  20wks pregnant.  The cyst is 10cm (the size of a lemon) and needs to be removed but my dr said unless it gets bigger we'll wait until after I heal from childbirth.  I asked if it was a miracle I got pregnant with the cyst and he said no...pretty common.  I will need a sonogram every month to make sure it doesnt grow rapidly but otherwise he said pregnancy and baby should be unharmed by it.   It did take about a year for me to get pregnant but it finally happened without infertility treatments so it is possible for you! Best of luck.
I can reassure you!  I have had 3 surgeries for dermoid cysts - one at 19, one at 26 right before I got married, and one at age 31.  I have had pieces of both ovaries removed, but I was able to get pregnant - NO PROBLEM - four times and now have four beautiful, healthy children.  If you keep yourself in good health and make sure to get these cysts removed before they get too big and choke off blood flow to your ovary, I hope you will have the same success I did.  My doctors kept warning me that I might have fertility problems, but that never happened.  My mother had the same experience - she had 1 ovary removed and half of the other - and then went on to have 3 kids with no problem getting pregnant.  Hope this helps your mental outlook!  
I am 31 and have 4 kids. For the past couple of months I have been having very bad pain on my left side during my period.   I just found out yesterday that I have a 2.4 cm complex cyst on my left ovary.  My dr is sending me to see a different dr because she does not deal with these kind of things. I have she did not say what type of complex cyst it is.  Should I be worried?  It kinda hard not to be.  
I am 23 years old, i had a cyst (4.5x 4.6cm) removed from my right ovary on jan.20, 2010. though my cyst was not extremely large, i had ovarian torsion, so the pain was excruciating. i had laparoscopic surgery, and healed almost entirely within 2 weeks, and returned to work. it is now may 20, 2010, and i have exactly the same pain, naseaua, bloating, and discomfort that i had right before i had the other cyst removed..i need to know how fast a cyst (follicular cyst, i believe it was) can regrow...they only removed 90% of the cyst the first time, because my doc was trying o save my ovary, but is it possible that its regrown fast enough to be causing this much pain ALREADY???  please, please, someone give me some kind of answer...
I have been having horrible pain like everyone, except my pain also goes down my legs.  Got an MRI for my spine bc thought it was a nerve thing but found that there is a 5cm cyst on my right side, probably ovarian cyst.  Don't know if it is malignant / benign but hopefully and most likely it's benign.  Today I am scheduled for a pelvic MRI so I will know more.

The thing that scares me is that I had an ultra sound 5 days ago because of all this pain and there was NOTHING.  Now 5 days later i have a 5cm x 5cm cyst.... so maybe some cysts can grow very quickly.  I will write back here once I know more... good luck...
I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy in my right ovary about two weeks ago. An ultrasound tech petty much told me to take action with my OB/GYN right away!Two days later I followed up with my dr. after blood work he had advised me to sit tight and wait. While I was having little to no pain I thought why not wait. Later the next day a nurse called me and said my Beta levels were almost tripled from two days prior. I had a dr appointment that next day and to my suprise there was a Baby in my Uterus but whatever was in my ovary was still there and growing from 4cm to almost 5cm. I have so many mixed emotions still not knowing what this is. My husband and I have been trying for baby number two for 10 months. My first beautiful son was concieved after extensive infertilty treatments so this was a suprise for us. Still having mixed emotions after reading these posts I feel a little better. Just hoping and praying for a healty baby and mommy.
Hi, I am 27 years old and just found out that I have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary through an ultra sound. I am also pregnant as well, 10 1/2 weeks. Doctor wants me to go to a specialist in a week to make sure if it is a dermoid cyst. Said if it is, then hopefully it doesn't rupture or gets big because she doensn't want to do any surgery since I'm pregnant. I am so terrified that it will cause any harm to my baby if I do have to go through surgery while pregnant. Has anyone have to go through this while being pregnant? And if the baby is ok?
I had an ultrasound scan on 19st July due to pain in pelvic area and doctor told me everything looked fine and just the usual cysts in ovaries as I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome. He did not say anything else but to come back in 6 months. 3 weeks later I was rushed to ER for an emergency surgery due to a raptured ovarian cyst and my left ovary was taken out. Apparently it was a huge cyst. My question is did my initial doctor miss the cyst and told me all was ok or can a cyst grow the huge that fast in 3 weeks? I thought it took months before ovarian cysts raptured? I am so mad because I feel it could have been prevented.
can dermoid cyst come again after removal???
Hi, I felt I should write about my dermoid cyst because once I was diagnosed with one I read other people's comments and it helped me get through this.

I was experiencing pain on my left side for a very long time but kept ignoring it. It always bothered me but it was a pain you just got used to having and I kept thinking I had a cyst that was erupting during my montly period or it was ovalation. It bothered me at certain times more than others and then wouldn't hurt so it was easy to ignore. Our bodies can tell us a lot we just got to learn not to ignore these symptoms and I am a licensed practical nurse and I learned about dermoids years ago but never thought I had one. I ended up having 3 attacks. The first lasted only a second it just made me bend over and went completely away, the next lasted about half an hour of severe pain where i thought i would pass out I didnt' go to the doctor after this attack because after it went completely away just like that , the third attack i had to deal with. The last attack lasted 12 hours of constant pain i was working in emergency at the time and I just asked one of the doctors I worked with if he minded sending me for an ultrasound and explained what was taking place. I got him to write urgent on it as well for me so i could get in right away. Well after getting my ultrasound results back i was shocked by my report. I will advise you all if you read your ultrasound reports do not over react. I did!!!! My ultrasound report suggested cancer and I should get the cancer 125 test done and they suspected it was a teratoma which is the same as dermoid basically. It showed calicification resembling teeth, it was 5.5 x 7.2 cm but what scared them was it was encircled in a cyst 13cm. Kinda confusing but turned out not quite correct. The report scared me so bad thinking I had cancer. I was shocked. I was so upset. Do not take everything in. A lot of doctors do not know a lot about dermoids neither. They are bizzare. I went to out patients having panic attacks after being diagnosed as i wasn't dealing well at all. The doctor on call basically knew very little about dermoids and she only went by the information i provided which i found on the internet and when i went to see my surgeon he told me that most of the information i found was not true so do not believe everything you read about these things on the internet neither. It will just scare you.
I had my surgery two weeks ago and now I am doing well. My dermoid contained hair, teeth,bone and tissue and was the size of a cricket ball. I wasn't sure the size of a cricket ball until I looked it up :) my surgeon was from India so I'm guessing they play cricket there. I am from Canada, NS. no cricket here. By the way I am 38 years old and I have a 10 year old son and 5 year old daughter. My doctor doesn't feel I had this at the time of my childrens births or it would have shown up on my ultrasounds. If you do research on the internet it says you had these things since you were born but he says that is not true. I stayed in the hospital for one night. They do the incision horizontally same as a c-section. Staples stay in for one week then are removed and steri-strips applied. My incision looks well. You need to look for redness or signs of infection. I was really scared of surgery and never had surgery before. What to expect is they will do blood tests before surgery and they may do the cancer 125 but that test is not always accurate and you really can't go by that for a marker. It has to be compared with many other things. You will meet with a nurse for pre op and she will go over what to expect before and after surgery and you can ask whatever you want or cry like i did. The day of your surgery you sign a couple papers, register, get your vitals taken and dress in a hospital johnny shirt, hat,booties and i walked to the operating room for surgery. Everyone is really nice and I work with a bunch of nurses who aren't so nice so i wasn't expecting such great care. Then they will give you an IV and after that you are asleep. The site from my IV still hurts me a lot and that was two weeks ago. I told him when he was putting it in that hurts so much!!!!! Anyways after that you are out and when you wake up it's over. I was so scared to be put to sleep but it's nothing at all. I coudlnt' imagine laying there for surgery for very long but you dont' know a thing. I know that probably sounds foolish but when you are dealing with something bad you dont' always think normal :) I was a mess. When I woke up in recovery I do not remember any of it except for a nurse telling me i'm going to feel warm water and she was washing some of the stuff they use to wash your skin for sterilization purposes off. Other than I remember nothing. Then you will go to your room and I am not going to lie you will be in some discomfort but the dilaudid helps and take it on a regular basis or you will be in extreme pain. The pain usually only last 24 hours and then after you can use tylenol #1 which you need to ask the pharmacist for but becareful because the codeine can constipate you and you will need senokot for your bowels to start moving. Expect a lot of gas after surgery. This was extremely painful and happened about the third day.  You will wake up with a catheter as well. I had an older nurse who was great and then after her shift was finished I got a younger new grad nurse, I could tell she didnt' want me to have the dilaudid so I took tylenol #2's instead but it did not ease the pain and I went so long with regular doses of dilaudid i burst out crying and freaking out. Then an older nurse came in an explained to me that i needed to control my pain on a regular basis which of course i know but when you are in a situation like that you aren't thinking properly and this young nurse didnt' want me to have it so i tried not to take it as she made me feel like i was seeking drugs. Anyways point being take the dilaudid on regular basis or you will be like me and i knew better. You wont' be able to soak in a bath until completely healed but you can shower as long as you cover the incision and turn back to the shower head so the water doesn't hit your incision. I used these water proof mepore dressings which worked. They say to use wrap but the mepore worked great.
It's been two weeks now and I feel I want to do so much more but you aren't allowed to do anything for 6-8 weeks except take it easy and relax. You will be very tired. I think i do well all day but i'm falling asleep between 8-9 o'clock. For the first week or week in a half try not to do anything but stay in bed and rest except for walk to the bathroom or to the couch a bit around the house to help with the gas and your bowels. I hope this helps others to know what to expect. My surgion told me that most of these things are not cancerous and he is not worried about cancer at all. It says 98% are not so of course we will still worry. But he is so sure it's not that I haven't been worried at all. I'm glad it's over with. I felt terrible, I felt like this thing was a baby of some sort just not fertilized as it was in my ovary and it contained human things, hard not to feel that it was an egg that got stuck in my ovary getting all the hormones from my ovary and grow all the things it does and that it just didnt' get fertilized. One doctor agreed with me but my surgion said that there is no truth in that at all. Whatever this is it's hard to deal with. It's hard to wonder why i couldnt' have a normal cyst like everyone else. I felt like it was an alien and i was a freak. I hope no one else feels this way but it's hard not to. But as soon as it is gone you will feel so much better and it's all over with. I was having back pains, bowel movement changes and always tired before. I hope this helps someone like your stories helped me. Take care. M.
hi about a month ago i was having pains on the left side of my back i did and ultrasound that said i have a 4.6cm /5.2cm cyst on my left kindey i'm 13weeks pregnant can this affect the baby ? my dr.apponitment is on monday i had 2 days of light bleeding should i be worried..
Hi I have got s dermoid cyst the size of 12.8 cm I am waiting for surgery which was supposed to be on Monday and now they have put it back four weeks. I'm worried about having it there and Sbout surgery. Any comments gratefully received . Emms
do not worry about the surgery or the scars, they are not bad at all. i don't even notice mine at all any more and I had 3 small incisions to remove a grapefrut sized dermoid about 5 years ago. since then I have had a beautiful baby boy ! to be honest, get it taken care of now.  I didn't have any pain until about 3 days before surgery and by then it had twisted my ovary.  again, with my remaining ovary still healthy i still had a baby a few years later! good luck and many prayers.  
i have recently been diagnosed with a small dermoid Cyst on my right ovary. i am 23 years old and i had a dermoid cyst removed at the age of 16 from my left ovary and my ovary was also removed. i have been in alot of pain recently and it has took my doctors 5 months to find the cyst. my Gyn has told me it is not serious but being of this age and going through the same thing again it is heart breaking.1 year after my first op at the age of 16  i had a small cyst appear on my right ovary which they managed to "shrink" using the contraceptive pill. I am distraught at the thought of going through all of this again and i am wondering if anyone has been through this? perhaps not at my age but having the same type of cyst on the other ovary after having an ovary removed?
thanks
I was diagnosed with a small dermoid cyst on my right ovary a couple of months ago.  They did not tell me the actual size.  I don't have insurance until January & can't afford to see a specialist or pay for anymore dr. visits out of pocket.  My question is about feeling sick....all the time.  Have any of you experienced that?  I feel like I am hung over all day long every day.  Nausea, no energy, hot & cold flashes, dizziness.   This has been going on for about 2 weeks and my stomach looks bloated (almost distended) even though I have been losing weight.  I discovered yesterday that if I lay on my stomach, my head gets fuzzy & my ears plug up & I get dizzy.  Not to mention the constant crampy feeling & shooting pains down my leg (these were the symptoms I had when they found it). Please let me know if you have had any similar symptoms.  Thank you :)
Hi everyone. I'm 20 years old. 2 years ago I operated surgery for my left ovary because of dermoid cyst. After that I have only right ovary now.
But recently I diagnosed ultrasound machine I also have dermoid cyst in right ovary for 18mm. Is it Okey to get pregnant or any other factors that influence my unborn child? Why dermoit cyst is growing so fast is there any effects?
I don't know why they grow so fast either. My Doctor had told me that it would be about 10-20 years before I could possibly get one and less than a year later I have another one and impending surgery.

I would certainly talk to you doctor gyn about getting pregnant with a dermoid cyst.  

I'm only 19 and my mom mentioned freezing eggs possibly to me depending on the outcome of this surgery now. With having only one ovary, I would suggest that you do some more research into freezing eggs and ask your doctor about it.  I hope that all goes well with your cyst and that nothing bad has to happen this time!
Hi, I know this thread is old but I also have 17cm cyst and felt a change over past few days like it has grown! I am scheduled for my operation in 10 days. Would love to know how it all turned out for you,x
It's been interesting to read all the comments after the fact. I too had symptoms for almost a year.  The seemed random and unconnected to each other. I had a regular OB/GYN appt in February, and regular Doctor's check up in July, at which I discussed my symptoms with both physicians. neither connected all the symptoms of bloating, constipation, twinges in my side, back aches, thinning hair, fatigue as well as dry skin. They both just chalked it up to my age.. the big 50, and being peri-menopausal. Yeah!
I was not happy, as I thought this is what 50 looks like, pregnant?
After an especially stressful week I experienced what I thought was a stomach virus, then the flu, only to finally at weeks end go to the emergency room for what I thought might be a bowel obstruction. Once there the nurses kept saying it was a kidney infection, despite the constant pain in what would be considered the appendix area, yet no symptoms indicated an issue with the appendix. After a urinalysis came back positive for a kidney infection they decided to do a scan to see how enlarged and inflamed the kidney was, only to discover a 6cm dermoid cyst on my right ovary.That lead to an external and internal unltasound, repeated just 4 days later at a followed up from the ER visit. I had the c-125 test which came up negative, and had the cyst removed just a week ago. The best explanation I was given was that they tend to be slow growers and I probably had this for the better part of the last year, but because they are not a hard solid mass they can often go undetected for quite some time until other symptoms force a closer look. One study that was cited to me put the average growth rate at 1.77cm a year. which mean I could have had this thing growing for the last 3+ years. They often want you to wait a couple months to see the growth rate or other symptoms. Some dermoids people can live with their whole life and have no ill effect. While the only way to deal with them is surgery, surgery  itself is not without risks of complications, infection or reaction to anesthesia. For my GYN doctor the biggest factor was the pain and risk of torsion, of the ovary and cyst twisting and cutting off the blood supply to the fallopian tube.The ER doctor said if I was younger they would have probably taken me right away to surgery in an effort to save my ovary for child bearing, but because I was perimenopausal they wouldn't rush to surgery.I am exactly 1 week from surgery and doing well. I had three small incisions for a laparoscopic removal, though for the life of me I can't figure out how they got the thing out of the biggest incision that was only 1 inch. I am happy to say some symptoms have already begun to diminish, and while dermoids can often be bilateral, the extra incisions revealed no growth as of now on the left ovary. The waiting can be tough more so psychologically, but monitor your symptoms, and be your own best advocate, no one knows your body and how you feel better than yourself.
I had an ovary and fallopian tube removed to due benign cyst in July 2014. All went well, I recovered quickly as all was done by laproscopy. However, my stomach is still quite distended on the side of the surgery. I am not I pain, but it is annoying not to have my stomach return to the way it was before surgery. Has anyone had this experience? I m planning on going for a second opinion. I went to my doctor 2 and three months afterwards, and she did not seem concerned at all.