Ovarian Cysts Community
How long do you watch a cyst for

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

How long do you watch a cyst for

I have a cyst on the left ovary since 2012. It has changed in size marginally from 1.8cm to about 2.4 cm. I do ultrasounds every 6 months. The ct scan shows septations the MRI shows none. My doctor has recommended removal laparoscopically. CA125 is 10.

How long has anyone typically waited and watched a cyst?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Regards
Sue
Welcome to the community. I have heard of some cysts hanging around for years like yours and if they are growing slowly they have continued to monitor them. You certainly don't want to have surgery if it is not necessary.

The main concern is if the cyst could be malignant. The CA125 test does have some false negatives so cannot be trusted 100% but periodic CA125 tests (trending) is supposed to be more accurate. If you do not have a family history of ovarian cancer, then your lifetime risk is less than 2% (1.3% per the National Cancer Institute).

Since the septations can only be seen on CT and not MRI, are they thin septations? Thick septations are more concerning than thin ones. Have you consulted a gynecologic oncologist? If there is any chance of malignancy, then it is best that an oncologist do the surgery. And it is always best to keep your ovary and just have the cyst removed (cystectomy) if the cyst is benign. Removal of even one ovary can permanently disrupt hormone production. This can not only affect fertility but also our lifelong health as the ovaries produce hormones up to at least age 80 and are needed for every aspect of health.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted.