Ovarian Cysts Community
How many of you went into surgery to remove a cyst and had their ovary ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

How many of you went into surgery to remove a cyst and had their ovary removed?

I was just wondering how common it was for the surgeon to have to remove the ovary with the cyst. I know it depends on a lot of factors.
I have had surgeries where I came to and they had just removed the cyst and other surgeries where they had to remove the ovary too.  In my case, my ovaries were attached to other organs.  I think it all depends on if  the cyst is wrapped around the ovary, has taken over the ovary, and if the ovary is attached to other organs. I hope this has helped a little.  Are you having surgery soon?  
I have a laproscopy set for March 30th.

Here is the report from my transvaginal ultrasound:

Size of right ovary: 2.4 x 2.3 x 1.4 cm
Left ovary: 6.4 x 6.1 x 3.0 cm
Two large anechoic cystic structures.
Size of cysts:
Cyst 1: 5.9 x 5.0 x 3.3 cm 50.9 cc
Cyst 2: 2.5 x 2.3 x 2.2 cm 6.6 cc
Doctors do not know how much a cyst has affected an ovary until they can see it in surgery.

If you are hoping to save the ovary, be sure the doctor knows your wishes.  There are no guarantees, unfortunately.

You can still have a normal life with one ovary if one is lost.
I had an endometrioma on one ovary, about 15 cm, and I let them know I wanted to keep my ovary if I could. After the surgery, they told me that they took extra time to remove the cyst and any remaining tissue so that I could keep the cyst. I think they also said there is scar tissue on my ovary now, and I'm unsure what that means for the future. Best of luck with your surgery and be well!
I am sure terrified that I might wake up without my left ovary and then somewhere down the line I get cysts on the right ovary and the same thing happens. I know there is a lot of what ifs, but I am only 21 and want to be a mother one day.

Thank you for your answers :)
I just reread the report for the doctor and it said that there is one septation seen. Does that make it a complex cyst? I am now officially freaking out. I am not cut out for this :(
If they are not using words like solid or irregular it is probably mildly complex and still highly likely to be benign.  The main issue is size.  Once a cyst gets large enough, removal is wise.

I know there is little that is calming when anticipating surgery, but try not to worry too much.
What kind of meds do they give you post-op?
I just had a 16cm simple cyst and my left ovary removed on 3/3. I knew going I that the ovary was most likely taken out but after my husband told me they spent almost an extra hour trying to save the ovary, I am a little depressed it couldn't be saved. I like the idea of a matching set, but one good one is all you need :).

As for meds - I'm on 600 mg ibuprofen and perocet. The pain isn't that bad. The bloating is irritating and the exhaustion from walking up and down the stairs is frustrating. I was lucky enough to take a full week off from work and think I will take full advantage. Taking time to recover is important and will make setbacks less likely!  

Hang in there -  the waiting is the hardest part!
I got morphine for two days and when discharged got a prescription for codeine/tylenol and a second one for ibuprofen (800 mg strength).  It varies depending upon any drug allergies or intolerances.
im 22 and im feeling like you :( i have a 4 cm cyst in my right ovary im totally scare...i want to be a mother one day as well..
I have been having transvaginal ultrasounds for about 18 months monitoring cysts.  They aren't going away and now I have a few dark spots on my ovary. I have a CA125 right before every ultrasoundand my numbers have always come back low.  I am scheduled for a removal of my ovary on 14 april 2010.  Most likely through lap, but I have had four c-sections so he isn't certain. I was only planning for a week of recovery time.  Am I delusional?  What should I expect?
Hi, I just recovered from a surgery on march 9th with a dermoid cyst inside my right ovary, it was the size of a grapefruit and another in my left somewhat smaller... i am also 21 years old. My Doctor saved both my ovaries, believe it or not the oavrian tissue is very strong, and can handle alot! It is also very quick to repair itself if your dr has to cut it open. I had a laparatomy and they got the cyst right out. I know its hard right now, but trust me your doctor will do eveything he or she can to save both your ovaries. Plus I know two people that have one ovary and one of them is pregnant with twins and the other has 6 kids! Im here to talk if you want. I was so worried I broke out in a rash. Its a very stressful time for you. Please know that I am here for you, i dont know you but I do know what you are going through. GOOD LUCK!

Hi Nata89,

I am glad to hear that you are doing well after you surgery. :) Thank you for your message, you managed to calm my nerves a bit (for at least an hour, lol). I just can't wait for Tuesday to come! Stress is causing me to have horrible dreams. I dreamt that I was going in for surgery and the anesthetic wasn't working, but the anesthesiologist said they had no more available so we would have to proceed with the surgery. Another time I dreamt that the surgeon was asking me the exact dimensions of my cysts, their placement, their composition and I didn't have the answers. She then said "I might not have enough information to save your life now, but I will try." It's amazing what stress can do!

I will keep you guys updated on my recovery.
I hear ya, I had a dream my legs got cut off, but i do have to say the scariest part is being rolled into the operating room but no matter where you go all the nurses will try and make you laugh, but I know it doesnt really ease your mind. This was my first time going under anesthesia and its the BEST sleep you will ever get. It goes by sooo quickly!!! Tuesday will come before you know it but try not to stress, stress makes it all worse:)
Hi there,

I just got my left ovary and a cyst removed last Tuesday, March 23rd. I am still sore, and glad we have spring break right now, to recover. I took off three days of work, and then last Friday spring break started for me, since I am working for the schools. I am still sore, and still have some vaginal bleeding with clots, was wondering if that is normal, but have read many posts, where it says it is. I will see my doctor next Tuesday for follow-up, and the full report. I think taking it easy for a week, or a little more, if you can afford will be good. They did laparoscopy together with hysteroscopy and D/C for me. That is as much as I could get out of my husband, since he did not understand what the doctor was telling him, and I don't remember what she said, because she must have told me in recovery room, when I was not really there yet, if you know what I mean.
I was scared, too, and it is a little weird thinking there is only half of it left now...
Anyhow, hope this helps you a little, good luck and get well soon,

Almut
Hi! Your surgery was a few days ago, just wanted to make sure you made out ok!

Get better soon!
I had a cyst rupture last year on my left ovary.  The pain was terrible and I was out of work for 3 weeks.  Since last year I have had severe back and pelvic pain.  Off and on to the doctors for months monitoring my left ovary.  Three weeks ago I finally had surgeryto the have the left ovary removed that was causing pain, but come to find out when they did the surgery, my right ovary had two cysts on it 5cm and the ovary was completely damaged, and the left had endrometriosis on it.  My doctor ended up removing my right ovary, cleaning up the left and leaving it in tact.  Along with that I had tvt surgery as well.  I am actually doing well but having some trouble getting around and a lot of pain in my right hip, thigh and leg.  It will only be three weeks on monday since my surgery and I think that I may be doing too much even though I dont feel that I am.  Anyway, I am surprised already how much of the bloating and pressure have been relieved in my pelvic area and that I no longer have severe lower back pain that really started limiting me from doing things this past year, it is amazing.  I am glad that I finally had the surgery.  Hoping to have the other pain relieved soon even though my doctor said it may take up to 3 months to get on track and feeling completely better.
I am doing great! The surgery went really well. One of my cysts had disappeared (either ruptured or was reabsorbed by my body) by the time surgery rolled around. The other one was twisted. My gyne also found some endometriosis, but that was treated. I am feeling about 95%. I guess I have age on my side (I am only 21).

Thank you for all your support and concern,

I will be sticking around
Thats Great Im so Happy for you! and I hear ya on the only 21 thing its nice to talk to someone else similar in age!! Feel better and rest up!
hi all, i am a blessed with a 9 months old baby girl..when i was pregnant with her i was told that i have a ovarian cyst on the right side, and once the baby is born it will go away by itself...!!!! when i went for post pregnancy check up aft delivary after 2 months they didn't do any ultrasound to check the status of the cyst,told me everything is okay...but now then i was feeling pain on my right side that would come and go anytime..sometimes continues for 2-3 days like you feel the pain when you have your periods...!!!!  so i went to my dr. and had a ultrasound done. after a week she called and told me that i have the same cyst present on my right side from the pre-pregnancy...!!! she told me that choice is mine- if i want to wait  
and keep an eye on it then let it be or she can remove it by surgery feel really uncomfortable and it is painful..) ( when i have a pain it does make me  if i want...!!!! i am 30 yrs old, planning to have another kid in the future, don't know what to do????? some people says there are so many risk factors are related with ovarian cyst removal surgery...!!!! should i go for the surgery  or just wait and keep an eye on the cyst by doing regular ultrasound done. surgery part is really scaring me..please help.
plese reply soon.
Hi, I have a cyst on my left ovary that we are watching.  Is your cyst large?  Does it cause daily pain?  These are all things to consider when deciding upon removal.  My cyst shrunk in half in one month but they are still going to check again in 2 months.
I had my left ovary and tube removed and a dnc on 7/19 also they had to remove my appendix! I have had a relatively easy recovery, my husband kept me active like walking...I think it helped greatly and so far I'm very surprised that I have had very little bleeding/discharge from the dnc. Overall I feel fine some tenderness in the belly area and I took no pain meds through the whole experience. I hope things stay easy....good luck to all