Ovarian Cysts Community
How serious are complex cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

How serious are complex cyst?

I went to my family doctor due to concerns I was having. They ordered an ultrasound. I have a 1.9 cm complex cyst on my right ovary and a regular cyst on my left ovary. They got me an appointment with an OB/GYN two day's later. When speaking with the OB/GYN he said that the complex cyst did not scare him and basically asked me why I was there. He did not even tell me we needed to check this cyst in the near future. Is this something that should be monitored and should I go see another OB/GYN?
The cyst is still small, but should definitely be monitored to see if it's growing. Complex cysts cause slight more concern, depending on how big it is and how fast it grows, if it continues to grow. If you don't feel like your doctor is giving you the attention you need, definitely seek a second opinion and look for another OBGYN. Are your periods regular? If not, your doctor will probably give you something to help regulate them and see if it helps the cyst to shrink and stop it from growing. Doctors usually consider surgery once the cyst goes past 5 cm. Try not to worry. Most cysts are benign, even complex ones :)
     I think I may vote for a second opinion..if for no reason except he seemed a bit dismissive. From what I've learned , all cysts should at least be monitored for a few months to see if they possibly resolve on their own.. Many times BC pills are given , if you are not already on them.The bc pills suppress ovulation.  There is some disagreement with the experts in whether they simply help to prevent cysts or shrink the ones already there..
     All in all, to answer your question: Yes, I think it should be at least monitored every few months, and yes I think  you should see another Dr. -- because I don't think you're happy with this one.. And please try not to worry..95% are benign.

Take care,
Sandy