Ovarian Cysts Community
How soon/How much exercise after laparoscopy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Good news is that I'm recovering very well/quickly from my laparoscopy 11 days ago.    

In fact I feel soooo much better with my cysts gone (I can bend again! breathe again! no more back pain!)  that I'm anxious to get back into working out again (which I haven't been able to do much of for over a year due to pain).

My (very laid back) doctor gave me the all clear to resume all normal activities.  But I'm still concerned about doing too much too soon.  

Can anyone give advice on hazards of or things to watch for when resuming exercise?  I know walking is probably how I should start but any thoughts on how soon to add more intense workouts or what types to avoid the longest?

FYI-should add that I'm 38, always been active until recently, my surgery was pretty simple removal of 2 large fallopian cysts on one side.   My doctor said that my recovery would be pretty easy because he never had to touch the ovary-basically just snipped of the end the fallopian tube and removed the cyst.  
I am so glad to hear you are recovering quickly.  If your doctor gave you the "all clear"  then you should be ok to exercise.  Just trust your body and start back slowly.  If you feel pain or weakness, then stop and take it more slowly.  

The main reason women with open incisions (a laparotomy) can't exercise until 6-8 weeks is because the stomach muscle have been cut deeply and healing must take place both inside and outside.  If pressure is exerted on the muscles too soon, you can develop a hernia or incisional healing issues.  Since a laparoscopy creates very tiny incisions, this complication is not expected.

Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!

Shelly
Thanks Shelly for the clear and complete answer!   My doc is great but he's so laid back and was so vague when he said 'resume normal activities' that I wasn't sure.  

Your explanation makes sense-and is exactly what I wanted to hear :-)

Thanks again!
Shannon