How would the doctors know if a ovarian cyst is filled with fluid
How would the doctors know if a ovarian cyst is filled with fluid? do they run any test? Does CA-125 tell them if the cyst is filled with fluid or not

thanks.
Karen
The TVUS (transvaginal ultrasound) is usually the test to determine if a cyst is fluid filled or solid or mixed. However, it's not 100% ..They really can only know for sure once a surgical procedure is performed. The CA-125 blood test is not for this purpose. It is used in ladies already dx. with ovarian cancer to determine how well the treatments are working. Sometimes the Dr's will order the CA-125 for those with high risks for OVCA. It isn't a reliable test for premenopausal women unless they are high risk or have other symptoms. There are many things that will give a false reading.

Sandy,
thanks for the answer.. I had a transvaginal u/s and the doctor found a cyst which was around 7 cms and she did a CA-125 test to see if the cyst is cancerous... I have been dx with thyroid cancer is 2007 and i dont if the two of them are related but the doctor did do a ca-125 just to make sure after the u/s. How long does it take for CA-125 test to be back?
It only takes a few days but ,as I mentioned, the CA-125 will not tell you if you have cancer . It is used primarily in those already dx. with ovarian cancer to measure whether the treatments are working. The American Cancer Society does not recommend using the CA-125 for screening purposes. For instance---- there are women on the Ovarian Cancer Forum who have always had low numbers on the CA-125 and but still have Ovarian Cancer . And... there are those that have high numbers and do not have cancer at all. There are many things that can cause the numbers to be higher: pregnancy, infections, endometriosis to name just a few. It has a little more merit with those with high risk factors, and postmenopausal women. Your profile isn't completed so I don't know your age.

So... having a high number is not going to tell you 100% whether you have cancer or not. The only way to determine if a cyst is malignant is through a surgical procedure. You may want to google "American Cancer Society, CA-125" ..

Good luck