Laparoscopy vs open vs. Da Vinci Robotics
I am planning to have my ovaries removed in the next month or so because I am at high risk for ovarian cancer (BRCA positive, 3x breast cancer survivor - 1986, 2004, 2007).  The doctor said that which procedure he does is entirely up to me  (I am 5"1" and 101 lbs) and he would let me decide. I love how doctors give you the choice - when you know nothing about what's entailed in each of the various methods of surgery.  My main concern at this point is recovery time - I run the Komen Race for the Cure every year in October - and need to resume training as soon as possible. Any suggestions on what procedure might be the least invasive and easiest in terms of recovery?
I would think the da vinci would be a little less invasive because the robotic arm is doing the procedure not a humans hands in there manipulating things around. Of course recovery time varies from person to person and if you have a little more that needs repair in your tummy this could cause additional pain as well but the doctor won't know that till he's looking at things. Depending how skilled your dr is with his robotic cases it could actually take more time which means more anesthesia then doing it the old fashioned way.
I would ask the dr or his/ her nurse how many robotic cases he's done.  Best of luck to you!