Ovarian Cysts Community
Large Dermoid Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Large Dermoid Cyst

I was recently diagnosed after a transvaginal ultrasound with a dermoid cyst on my left ovary measuring over 10cm.  I am 29 years old and have had terribly painful periods, pain during sex, stomach issues, fatgue, and what I thought was bloating on and off for the past two or three years.  This was originally felt by my PCP and thought to be fibroid, however after seeing a specialist and getting the ultrasound, they think it's a large dermoid.  I am really scared as I had to have blood tests today for 'tumor markers' and have to go in for an MRI next week as well.  I know the odds of it being malignant are VERY small, but it's still terrifying to have something that large in your body and not know for certain what it is.  I am scheduled for laparoscopic surgery on 9/4 to remove the cyst, and they are also going to try to save my ovary if possible.

Would appreciate any advice or encouragement from people who have already gone through this experience, as it's really scary and not something you can really chat with people over dinner about...
forgot to mention that I don't have a history of ovarian cancer in the family which I am told lessens the risk considerably - just scared and feeling alone!
Welcome to the community. Yes, most ovarian cysts are benign in women without a family history. The average woman's lifetime risk is less than 2%.

Ovarian cysts can get quite large. I had a 9.5cm ovarian cyst. Unfortunately, I was over-treated...both ovaries, tubes, and my uterus were removed. My surgeon should have done a cystectomy and then sewn me back up when the frozen section came back benign. Instead he proceeded to remove my vital organs. The uterus and ovaries have lifelong non-reproductive functions and work together as a unit so removal of any part can disrupt the whole system.

It sounds like your surgeon plans to do a cystectomy. I hope your surgery goes well! Please post back and let us know how you are doing.
Thank you so much for the encouraging words and advice - I will keep you posted on my progress... praying that the bloodwork and MRI come back without any indications of malignancy...
I had a 6.5 cm cyst in my left ovary.
the dr scrapped out my ovary and put a dye through it to find it wasn't working and the tube was damaged (from a previous surgery). But left ovary in hoping they would/could heal itself.
The 2 laproscopic surgeries i have had are completely different recoveries.
the 1st  I was pregnant. (missed miscarriage 5 weeks after) and this surgery i am not pregnant.
I can warn you with or with out the removal your 1st period could cause some pain.
ask for pain killers while your in the hospital.
write a diary of how you are feeling, rest and dont over do it. sleep as much as you can or want to.
A hot water bottle or wheat bag will be your friend for your shoulder. (gas pools there to escape the body).
worrying about the results will not help(hard to say and not do right) :)
i hope it goes well for you.
Katch1980
Thanks so much - really appreciate the advice and positive energy!  My MRI is tomorrow afternoon, and I never heard anything back on my bloodwork (assuming that no news is good news), but will keep you posted!  Praying for good news and a quick recovery..