Ovarian Cysts Community
Large Ovarian Cyst Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Large Ovarian Cyst Removal

I have a large ovarian mass that has been identified via ultrasound and Petscan.  It has been described as large, complex and predominantly cystic multiseptated.The exact origin cannot be determined based on the scans.  The lesion is occupying most of my pelvis and measures 13 cm x 11 cm x16 cm (cantalope size, I believe).  Trace FTG uptake (max SUV 0.6) is noted corresponding to the solid component.  Nothing else suspicious has been seen anywhere else in my body via blood tests and the Petscan.

I have seen two ovarian cancer specialist surgeons here in NYC.  I had been hoping to have the surgery by laproscopic.  The first surgeon said she could/would start that way but that given the size and potentially immobility of the mass, there was a high likelihoold she would need to convert to full laparotomy (vertical inciision due to placement).  She was fine starting with laprascopy then converting during the surgery so long as I was ok with having smaller incisions then a larger one.  The second surgeon said very assertively that this must be done via laparotomy (also with vertical incision due to placement of the mass).  His rationale for laparotomy was size and placement although he does do over 80% of his surgeries via laprascopy.

The second surgeon who prefers "straight to laparotomy" is probably more experienced and is highly rated in NYC.  The first surgeon is younger and I really liked her a lot, but she is probably less experienced -- allthough definitely up on the latest technology (not to say the other one isn't, though).  I am trying to figure out what to do.  Clearly I want to rule out cancer (estimated at 20% possibility due to age, complexity, etc) but I am also hoping to have the best possibly recovery from the surgery and laprosopy is much less invasive.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Hello there,
On 5/22 I had a football sized cyst removed from my right ovary - laproscopically.
So - laproscopy can be an option for large masses.
Have you ever heard of the DaVinci?
Check it out online.
It was recently featured on Grey's Anatomy. (or so I was told)
My surgery was done at St.Peter's hospital in Albany, NY. (they have the DaVinci)

About five months back - a friend of mine was convinced that her mother (who lives near Albany) "must return to NYC to get the best treatment available". Her mom decided to stick with her gyn/onc and had surgery in Albany. That daughter - after all was done - had to admit - that her mother recieved better care and treatment with the technology at St. Peters in Albany.

Warmly,
Dawn

Two weeks ago I had a total hysterectomy and 2 large ovarian masses removed via DaVinci.  The largest on my R ovary was 18 cm x 10 cm x 7 which was the largesst my surgeon had removed via DaVinci.  Thankfully, all was benign.  Just wanted others to know it IS possible to have large ovarian masses removed via DaVinci.  My recovery has been nothing but amazing--driving in 1 week--preparing 3 meals/day for grandsons @ 10 days.  I would recommend everyone who needs a hysterectomy or ovarian masses removed ask their surgeon to use DaVinci.  I did--and she agreed!  Question to anyone?  What is the largest size ovarian mass removed via DaVinci?  My surgeon was hesitant to remove mine this way stating the "bag" to remove the mass was only 15 cm, and if ruptured, concern if twas malignant.  She felt 95% certain mine was not malignant, although not confirmed until frozen section & pathology completed.