Ovarian Cysts Community
Large cysts, one complex, cancelled surgery out of fear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I have known that I have large ovarian cysts for the last 6 months. One on the right is supposedly mostly simple, thin walled, but it is 10.5 cm, and then there is another on the left that is complex, about 9cm, but has no blood flow to it, which is supposedly good and the oncology radiologist that read the scans said his impression is that it looks complex because it may have bled into itself. I have had 2 ca 125 tests that were fine, an he4 and a ROMA that were all fine and the oncologist I have been seeing since September does not think they are cancer, but of course, she cannot be sure. I was scheduled today for, at first, laparascopic removal, but I got a call from my dr yesterday after she saw that there are two now that are roughly 3.8 inches each and she said she did not think she would have enough room to work laparascopically and that she would need to do a laparotomy with a 6 inch cut. I have never had surgery before and cannot imagine being "put under". I have a 3 year old daughter and am absolutely terrified of never seeing her again. I drove all the way to the hospital this morning and literally left the parking lot and went home because I am so scared, not only of the surgery itself, but waking up to hear that I have ovarian cancer. I am only 34 years old, and have pcos and I realize that most of my scan and blood results point to everything being benign, but then I do have some symptoms that scare me like bloating that comes and goes, no ascites though, shortness of breath, although I have gained a lot of weight and most of it is carried in my stomach which I guess could account for that, but at the end of the day I am just plain scared. I have had cysts before because of the pcos, but they were all typical of the disorder, a few mm, like pearls on the ovary, so this is all new to me. I will be rescheduling my surgery as I realize that I have to have these cysts out. Are there any inspirational stories out there from women who have had a real fear of surgery and who had large complex cysts that were benign? I am really searching for hope. Thank you
Most the reports have suggested that the complex cysts are benign. Moreover in reproductive age group, complex cysts are often benign. Persistent simple ovarian cysts larger than 5-10 cm (especially if symptomatic) and complex ovarian cysts should be considered for surgical removal. The surgical approaches include an open incisional technique (laparotomy) and a minimally invasive technique (laparoscopy) with very small incisions. Aim is to remove the cyst intact without any breakage and spillage and if your gynecologist feels that they are big to be removed laparscopically then you can take a second opinion but laparotomy would be the best ption.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.