Ovarian Cysts Community
Left side menstrual pain with exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Left side menstrual pain with exercise

Hi There,
I've been dealing with this problem for a few years now and within the past year I had a laparoscopy. The gyno found some small cysts on my left ovaries and small amount of endometriosis. I was getting my period every 14-17 days. I've eliminated gluten from my diet as well as caffiene and chocolate and my peiod now come every 18-25 days with still the occassional unbearable menstrual pain/cramping. My Gyno believes that I also do not ovulate at this point. She also stated that she saw no indication of ovarian Cancer while she did the lap. Also I am not on birth control as it REALLY does not agree with me and I would like to have children in the next few years.
So my question is: could there be anything else wrong with me? It seems completely absurd that I have VERY intense left menstrual like pain to the point of doubling over and either fainting because of the extreme pain as well as extreme pressure on my bowels causing diarrhea whenever I exercise. I wasn't been able to exercise in about a year and a half and I've started again out of desperation. I firmly believe that if I could decrease my abdonminal fat it would really help this but I can bearly exercise sometimes and there's only so much dieting I can do.

If anyone knows of other possibilities or explainations for this, please let me know. I'm tired of being held hostage by my left side.
Thanks,
Hi there back, well I do not know the answer to your particular situation but I do know that for a few years when I turn in bed or exercise or stretch, a sharp pain comes in my right-hand waistline area. I do have a gallstone but it's marginal and I haven't been eating correctly which could cause problems, who knows. I did have an ultrasound of my organs done this year and everyting was normal. I do have a 3 mm or so water filled cyst in there somewhere.

We had an auto accident in February and things got worse for awhile and with me not exercising or stretching lately, that pain is back.

That's all I know and it IS a mystery. I think you are very smart to persevere with this and also not rely on dieting at the expense of staying with your nutrition.

Aside from that, if you find out anything, let me know and I hope others will write too. I'd like to know.

Jane
Sometimes even small cysts and/or endo can cause big symptoms and it's possible you still have something there on the left side.  Exercise often makes them hurt worse.  It's wonderful that you are making an effort to improve diet and exercise but it often makes little impact on cysts. Routine gyn exams are the best defense in understanding what, if anything, is causing pelvic pains. You could also be having small cysts that rupture each month or perhaps exercise is encouraging rupture. Or maybe you have scar tissue, nerve damage, or adhesions from the lap causing pain.

If your doctor thinks you are not ovulating, that needs to be addressed because ovulation is essential if you want to have children the natural way. I hope you have a good doctor that will take the time to solve these things for you.
I have exactly the same symptoms as you do. I too have had a laparoscopy, and have cysts removed from my overys as well as polyps removed.
My stomach swells to looking like I am 6 months pregnant if I exercise my stomach area, which my doctor puts down to IBS due to stress, but I'm not 100% convinced. Tests I have had done show I'm not allergic to any foods, and the doctor can't explain why exercise would aggravate my stomach as this isn't part of IBS symptoms.
I would love to discover why I cannot exercise where I always used to be able to.. I now can't even ride a bike! The most exercise I can now do is walk. Everything else seems to make my stomach swell like a balloon! :-(