Ovarian Cysts Community
Lower Abdomen Pain/ Cortical Cyst (Kidney), cystic mass (left adnexa)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

I have been experiencing severe pain in my lower abdomen that comes and goes.  Sexual intercourse has become very uncomfortable and I have been experiencing reoccuring bacterial infections.  I am not sure if all of these symptoms are related or if they are separate situations.  I have been experiencing the extreme lower abdomen pain for quite some time but very rare (a few times a year).  As of lately, the pain has been occuring more frequently (weekly).  I had a vaginal ultrasound done in July 2009 and was told I had a cyst about 3 cm on my right ovary and a few fibroids but either was big enough to be the culprit of the pain.  My ob/gyn informed me that only 3 things could cause pain in the lower abdomen: reproductive organs, digestive system, and bladder.  In that regard, he advised me to see a urologist and then have a colonoscopy if nothing showed up with the bladder.  My urologist had a CT scan done October 2009.  The results showed a small cortical syst on the right kidney measuring 8 mm in size and the urterus to be slightly prominent and slightly heterogeneous in appearance.  It also indicated there may be a small uterine fibroid present and there is a cystic mass in the left adnexa measuring 3.7 x 5.5 cm in size.  In layman 's terms, what does all of this mean?  Is the cortical syst responsible for the pain?  Is the cystic mass in the left adnexa responsible for the pain?  Are there other women who have similar problems and have had it pain resolved?  Please help.
It sounds like your ovarian cyst may have increased in size from 3 cm to 5.5 cm (the larger measurement). That certainly can be the cause of pain. Either that or the second test just got a better view of it and it was already that big.  Frankly, it could have been causing pain at 3 cm.  It varies by person whether they get pain from a cyst.  Some get no pain while others get a lot.  It depends on how it is situated and what pressure it is placing on other things.

How did they categorize the cyst?  Simple, complex, dermoid?  It makes a difference in how they view it in terms of treatment.

I don't know enough about cortical cysts, but 8mm is quite small. I think they also categorize these as simple or complex, and often leave simple ones alone.

I think you may need to go back to the ob/gyn with those results.  You may be a good candidate to have the cyst removed. "Watch and wait" is the other option, but it means going back every few months for more ultrasounds (while you still have pain).  Fibroids also have to be watched and if they worsen, that could also mean a potential need for surgery.  Some ladies just decide to take care of multiple problems in a single surgery.
Good morning.  Thanks for responding.  They didn't categorize the cyst as either.  I wrote in my post exactly what was on the report from the CT scan.  I do have a follow-up with my ob/gyn on tomorrow and I have a copy of the CT scan report for my ob/gyn.  The fibroids in women definitely run in my family.  My mom, grandmom, and a few of my aunts, and cousins all have had partial or full hysterectomies (my cousins were younger than me and they had them before 30 years of age.  While I haven't had any problems with me, maybe family history is finally catching up with me.  I just want the madness to stop.  Have a great day!
I know  you posted this a few years ago...did you ever get diagnosed?  I have pretty much the exact medical issues going on....in fact I could have written the comments you did 4+years ago.  In pain...just had an ultrasound and ct done this week...same type of results.
I am desperate to find out what is going on with me...if you have any insight I would greatly appreciate it.