Ovarian Cysts Community
Mirena IUD cause Dermoid Cysts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Mirena IUD cause Dermoid Cysts?

I would like to see if anyone has spoken to a doctor and gotten an official diagnosis that the Mirena IUD is a possible cause of Dermoid/ovarian cysts. I am 23 years old and I also have never had a medical problem my whole life, especially due to my reproductive system. Long story short, I have always felt that the IUD was causing me problems. I have two cyst in my left ovary, one is what they call a regular cyst and the other is a Dermoid cyst. I want to know if anyone has actually spoken to a Doctor who has dealt with mirena issue in the past so that I could be in contact with him about possibly giving me a diagnosis. I am in extreme pain as the dermoid continues to grow. I have been ridiculed by our health system because they did not believe i was in pain at first, they lost my first ultrasound and when they finally found it, i was eight months later. I was told i had clhamidia/gonnerrhea when my test came out negative. So i really need someone's help to put an end to all of this and possibly help others.
please if you have any information about this, email me at: vanessa.***@****
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
The mirena IUD should not be held responsible for the ovarian cysts. Functional ovarian cysts occur because of hormonal problems. Such types of cysts often undergo spontaneous regression. The dermoid cyst especially if it is growing rapidly may require removal. Consult a gynaecologist for an evaluation and to determine the cause of pain. Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.