Ovarian Cysts Community
Miscarriage & Ovarian Cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Miscarriage & Ovarian Cysts

About 2 weeks ago I went into the ER for cramping and bleeding because I thought I was having a miscarriage. (I was 5 weeks pregnant) They confirmed the miscarriage but noticed I had a cyst on my left ovary. According to the reports, it says my "left ovary is 2.9 x 1.6 x 1.5 cm, and has an area that is slightly echogenic peripherally and centrally hypoechoic, most likely an involuting corpus luteum cyst. "

I can't get into a doctor for 3 weeks to follow up with this and I'm very concerned. The ER doctor didn't elaborate on either my miscarriage or the cyst so I don't know if I should be worried or if this is common. I am also having pain on my left side constantly through out the day and don't know if that means I should push harder to get seen quicker. Please help!!!
The cyst is not overly large but might be somewhat complex.  They are very common and you could have had it for awhile.  Complex is less desirable than simple or strictly fluid-filled cysts.

I would think a doctor would want to see you now to check on your post-miscarriage healing progress, and then while they're at it, get them to look closer at the cyst.  So very sorry for your loss of the baby.
:-(

If you have to continue to wait for 3 weeks, that is not too bad of a wait.  Often cysts are monitored on 6 to 8 to 12 week intervals when they are considered safe enough to "watch and wait". The pain management is another issue.  If it can be managed with standard pain killers like Ibuprofen (and some women do well with heating pads, too), then it is not an emergency.  If you think you are very unwell, then yes, I would say push for an earlier appointment.  Only you can decide how serious your body's signals are and what they are telling you.  

Cysts seem to hurt worse when we know of their existence.  You are also dealing with some post-miscarriage pain, I would think.  Another possibility is a pelvic infection as the result of all that trauma, which may require antibiotics.