Ovarian Cysts Community
Missing Ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Missing Ovary

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like what I've been going through the past couple weeks. I went to my doctor for a regular pap and a checkup because I've been experiencing sharp pain in my lower left abdominal area. My doctor said the pain was right where the left ovary should be. When blood tests and the pap came back normal, I was scheduled for an ultrasound which was done a week ago. That report said that there was fluid around my right ovary and that my left ovary could not be clearly seen. As my doctor was out of town, I'm following up with a nurse practitioner and another doctor. While the nurse practitioner says to wait until my next period (about 2 weeks) to see if the pain is still present, the doctor is saying that I need to follow up with a CT scan pronto. The radiologist told them there may have been an ovarian cyst that ruptured which is why the ovary could not be seen (due to all of the fluid), however, the doctor seems worried that I may not even have a left ovary or if it is not correctly placed. I'm so confused by one doctor saying one thing, while the other thinks something else. I'm scheduled for my CT scan tomorrow morning. Has anyone else had the problem of fluid making an ultrasound difficult to read? Or has anyone even had a ruptured cyst? I'm only 21 and I'm worried that I'll have to have the ovary removed (if it's even there). I'm an extremely busy lady, with school and a job. I can't just be sitting around for two weeks waiting to see if this terrible pain stops.
If you had a fluid-filled cyst and it ruptured, it wouldn't be hurting any more.  The release of the fluid usually causes the pain to cease.  Why do you have to have a CT scan instead of an MRI?  There is a lot less radiation in an MRI.
When an ovarian cyst ruptures, it can cause intense pain for a few days up to a week.  With all of the fluid that was see, it sounds like that is what happened.  I'm sorry you have 2 doctors with 2 different opinions.  If it were me, I would I would go for the CT scan just to see what it says and know that everything is okay.  Good luck on your scan today.  Please let us know what you find out!!
I guess the CT scan was just the general follow up after the ultrasound at my hospital. Thankfully the contrast solution I have to drink is not bad at all! I get to mix it with juice. Its just so much to drink early in the morning.

Has anyone heard of the fluid from a ruptured cyst making it difficult for an ultrasound to read?
Well, my CT scan came back normal, which is awsome. After a slightly traumatic experience getting the scan done, I'm actually feeling much better. I have a follow-up appointment with ALL of my doctors today so hopefully I'll just get a med change and be able to return to life as normal.

So if anyone knows I just have a few questions...How likely is it that I'll get more cysts after I had the one rupture? Also, how long do people usually rest after these sorts of things? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying being lazy but I have a life to get back to.
That is awesome news!!  It sounds like you are able to get back to normal just as soon as you feel up to it.  Unfortunately, once you start getting cysts, it is likely (but not definite) that you will get more cysts.  No one really knows.  Has your doctor tried putting you on birth control pills to help keep you from getting cysts?  Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.  As far as getting back to your normal routine, you can do that anytime you feel up to it.  There are usually no restrictions when a cyst ruptures.  Please let us know how your appointments go today!!
My appointment was interesting, to say the least. They found that I have a double infection (uterine and urinary), neither of which I was showing symptoms for and they did not show up as high white blood cell counts or in my pap just 2 weeks before.

Fungirl1011-I have actually been on birth control for about 3 years and I'm just now getting the cysts. I'm hoping it is a one time thing even though I know it probably won't be.

I'm finally getting back to my life. I've gone back to work and have began working in my research lab again. I'm still having some pain at night, but nothing compared to what it was. My doctor thinks the infections could be what is causing the dull constant pain, so also hoping to get rid of that soon as the antibiotics take effect. Follow-up appointment in a little more than a week!!
I will tell you right now I had one rupture and when I went in for my surgery there was a huge mess to clean up.  While it is generally believed that once it ruptures it goes away that is not always true.   I am walking proof of that.  I had no time to prepare for my surgery as mine was emergency and that was hard for me to deal with.  If you need want anything else feel free to ask me.