Ovarian Cysts Community
Mucinous Cyst - Borderline Tumor Inside

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Mucinous Cyst - Borderline Tumor Inside

Dear all,

I am a 30 year old woman living in Germany and had 2 months ago an operation because of a 4x4cm (mucinouse) cyst on my left ovary. The frozen section during the surgery showed benign tissue, but the detailed histological result 10 days later had unfortunatelly revealed a small area with low-grade atypical proliferation of the cells within the cyste - diagnosis was mucinous borderline tumor, extracted in healthy tissue (sorry, don't know the exact English expression for this - it means that the cyste wall surrounding the borderline area was healthy).

My doc/gyn said I needed a second restaging surgery, where they should take out the left ovary, part of the omentum and do some biopsies from the peritoneum incl. the washing. However, when I started researching on the internet I read that in case of mucinous tumors, also the appendix should be taken out... This made me doubt if my doc really knew what was to be done, so I decided to have the second surgery at the specialized clinic in Berlin (Charite). I also took my histological plates with me.

The 2nd surgery was done now three weeks ago and the result was - THANK GOD - that everything was healthy! The left ovary, the appendix, the omentum and four biopsies from peritoneum, as well as the pelvic washing did not show any malignant and in particular any borderline cells. They did confirm the 1st diagnosis based on the histo plates though - there was a mucinous borderline neoplasie in the cyste.

My question now is - what does this mean for me!? Can I consider myself now healthy? What stage was I actually (they did not write any stage into the protocol, since all was healthy)?!

The doctor said that given the great results the surgery was not necessary. But they could not know it unless the restaging is done. He also said that they are of the opinion that the right ovary will stay healthy (high probability).

My right ovary looks normal, I was told to go for checks every three months, nothing else.

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance! It is really difficult to find consistent information about borderline tumors. The opinions of specialists vary from one hospital to another and as a patient you are left with a huge question mark above your head... My doctor said I DO NOT have a higher risk for getting ovca then any other woman and that borderline is a completely separate type of tumor not correlated to cancer. But that it can behave cancer-like if it has invasive implants.

I am just so confused...:(

Regards,
Meli
You probably have more knowledge about borderline than we do!  I am glad all was removed and that you got such good news from the doctor.  You might find more information on the ovarian cancer forum.  Borderline is its own category, not benign, not cancer but somewhere in the middle.  The ladies on the ovarian cancer forum may be more helpful since they know more about these things.
When I went to my gyn/ onc for my cyst it was originally thought to be borderline ended up being a chocolate cyst. However while waiting for surgery, I did a lot of research and what your doctor did was the exact protocol suggested in the industry. He may have inadvertently forgot to mention appendix. I also read that basically the staging surgery is also the treatment for borderline. If nothing shows up, your finished. However, women in general should always stay onto of their health issues and get their periodic exams.  Very good prognosis I am happy for you

Thank you for your answers and support, guys!

Islandgrl47, in my case it was vice versa - they suspected a chocalate cyst, which afterwards turned ou to be mucinous and then borderline...

I talked finally to my doctor from Berlin yesterday - he said that apart from the checks every 3rd month, I do not need any further follow-up.

I am so grateful for everything... all the best to you too and stay healthy (as my doc always says to me...:)