Ovarian Cysts Community
Multiloculated Complex Cyst - any info?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Multiloculated Complex Cyst - any info?

I have been having annoying abdominal discomfort and pain for the last year ..especially on the lower right hand side and an increase in the amount of urinary tract infections.  I then decided to see a GI specialist and they told me it was probably IBS....but suggested getting a CT scan of the lower abdomen. Well, it was then found that I had a "Multiloculated Complex Cyst" measuring 3.4 x 4.2 cm on my right ovary.  I tried looking this up but don't get too much information.  What type of cyst is this and how does it differ than a typical ovarian cyst?  Also said that tiny follicles are seen on the left ovary.  The specialist recommended that I get a pelvic ultrasound to get more information, and to see a gynecologist.   My question is...do I have anything to be afraid of?  Secondly...will i most likely need surgery to remove this cyst?  If so, I hope that I can do it without general or local anesthesia...and just have twilight or a pain killer and be awake because I have bad reactions to anesthesia...i get sick when i wake up.

Thanks in advance for your help,
MN
Multiloculated means there are spaces and that the complex cyst is not solid.  These types and all cysts are 95% benign.  I'm not sure if they will operate or not - if it was over 5 cm there would be no question but with it being complex it is possible they would remove laporascopically.  If you do require surgery do discuss your past experiences with the anaesthetist and they can find a way to ensure you deal better with the anaesthetic.  Good luck.
Thanks Trudie.  

I ended up having a pelvic ultrasound and it confirmed that it was a complex cyst in my right ovary.  The ovary is abnormally enlarged since the cyst is inside it. I met with a gyne today and she told me that it needs to be removed laparoscopically, (a cystectomy) but she MAY need to do a laparotomy and remove the ovary if it's too damaged from the cyst.  The worse news is that she said that General Anesthesia is the ONLY way to go, as the CO2 that is pumped into the abdomen pushes up on the diaphragm which causes difficulty in breathing and they don't want me to have that problem during surgery if I am awake.  I am desperately trying to get twilight anesthesia with a pain block of some sort, and have a breathing tube so i don't have to have general.  I get extremely sick when i wake up from that, along with being out of it the WHOLE day of surgery.

Has anyone EVER had a laparoscopy without going under general anesthesia?

Thanks!
MN