Ovarian Cysts Community
No surgery???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

No surgery???

I am 64 years old.  I have a small (2.9cm)complex cyst on left ovary.  My CA-125 was 11.  My GYN is taking a watch and see attitude and wants me to repeat the blood test and ultrasound in a year.  At my age, is this wise?  Why not just remove the ovary?  I can't imagine going a whole year with the constant worry.  I was of the opinion that the sooner something was found the better chance you had of survival.  18 months ago I did not have this cyst.
The cyst is very small, although it is complex, it might resolve itself. Your Ca-125 is good, it is a tumour marker with about 80% accuracy. 0-35 is the good range, so it is most likely benign.
Ovarian cysts are very common, most resolve on their own and about 95% of non functional cysts are benign, so the stats are on your side.
Wait and watch is probably best, both considering the size and your age, unless you have a family history of ovarian cancer. Surgery always involve risks. I would probably try to get the check up done in 6 months if I was you though, a year is a bit long to wait.
The ovary and cyst, or just the cyst could be removed surgically, but the ovary has health benefits up until about 72 years of age, so I would hold on to it if I was you.
Good luck