Aa
A
A
Close
No surgery???
I am 64 years old.  I have a small (2.9cm)complex cyst on left ovary.  My CA-125 was 11.  My GYN is taking a watch and see attitude and wants me to repeat the blood test and ultrasound in a year.  At my age, is this wise?  Why not just remove the ovary?  I can't imagine going a whole year with the constant worry.  I was of the opinion that the sooner something was found the better chance you had of survival.  18 months ago I did not have this cyst.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
The cyst is very small, although it is complex, it might resolve itself. Your Ca-125 is good, it is a tumour marker with about 80% accuracy. 0-35 is the good range, so it is most likely benign.
Ovarian cysts are very common, most resolve on their own and about 95% of non functional cysts are benign, so the stats are on your side.
Wait and watch is probably best, both considering the size and your age, unless you have a family history of ovarian cancer. Surgery always involve risks. I would probably try to get the check up done in 6 months if I was you though, a year is a bit long to wait.
The ovary and cyst, or just the cyst could be removed surgically, but the ovary has health benefits up until about 72 years of age, so I would hold on to it if I was you.
Good luck
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cysts Community Resources