Ovarian Cysts Community
Normal size of ovary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Normal size of ovary?

I have had several utrasounds done and they all show some sort of cyst by my right ovary which is solid and a possible smaller one near my left ovary. The one near my right side is solid and the smaller one near my left ovary is semi solid with a little flluid in it also. I had a partial hyster.. when I was about 22 due to an abnormal pregnancy. I don't want to loose my ovaries nor go into meno.. at my age. I'm 36 and just want the cyst taken out. I was told that there was scar tissue on my ovary also. I would like that scar tissue removed. What is the normal size of an ovary? And what is your opinion as to what I should do or other questions I should be asking?
Thanks,

Renee
Hi Renee,
I also have a cyst but on my left ovary measuring 3.3cm's. I had it last October and then in November it shrunk.  Now it's back.  Have you had a ca-125 done?  I had two last year and they were normal.  I just had one done at my family doctor during my annual bloodwork check last week and it came back elevetated ot 50.... I freaked.  So.. I called my gyn and she had me get an ultrasound.  I have the cyst back and also a fibroid which I am told can cause a ca-125 to get elevated.  I'm going to speak to the doctor in person tomorrow, but have a second appointment set up for September 8th.  I can ask tomorrow what the size of a normal ovary is and let you know.  I am 46 and also don't want my ovaries out either.  I hate the idea of going through early menopause.

Ann
Do you have a copy of your TV/US results? You can read exactly what size your cysts are on the report. The average size of an ovary is about the size of a small walnut, so when a cyst grows larger than the ovary there is a danger it can twist around. Have you had a Cat scan done?
Your gyn will probably order further testing to determine what kind of treatment plan will be best for you. If you are concerned about losing the ovaries, you need to share that information with them. Let the doctor know that if it's safe and if they can just remove the cyst and scar tissue for now that's what you prefer. If you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, then it would be better to remove them.
Let us know what the gyn suggests. There are probably some other ladies here that have had a similar situation to yours that can give you some insight about the way it was handled for them.