Ovarian Cysts Community
One or two ovaries removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

One or two ovaries removed

My doc wants to take out both ovaries,\ and tubes, but only one is bad.  If one ovary looks ok, should it come out also if one is past menopause?  
Here's a link that talks about how the ovaries produce the hormones androstenedione and testosterone until the age of 80. These hormones may be helpful for your bones and in decreasing your heart disease risk.

http://www.menopauselifestyle.com/blog/having-a-hysterecomy-5-reasons-to-hang-on-to-your-ovaries

So, it all depends on your risks. Do you have a family history of cancer? Are you at high risk yourself? Have you had a lot of problems with cysts? Those may be reasons to remove both ovaries.

Are you at risk for heart disease or osteoporosis? (That's me) If so, it may be better to hang on to at least one ovary. (I had an ovary removed, but am premenopausal.) I want to hang onto my one ovary as long as I can. I know there are differing opinions, but I feel like if one is not at high risk for cancer and the organ is healthy, why remove it?
The medical research is always changing, what used to be sacrosanct - removal of both ovaries to prevent ovarian cancer, is now being questioned. For some women, it makes sense. But for others, not so much so.

You may want to ask your doctor for the reasoning behind the recommendation to remove both ovaries even though only one is a problem.
Very good advice from outdoorsgirl.  Another consideration for removing it is if surgery for you is high risk and it would be dangerous to leave the option of another future surgery in place.  
I'm 65 and of course, post menopausal.  I had a 5+cm cyst on my right ovary and my Gyn suggested removing both ovaries just in case - to prevent future cysts on the good ovary.  I went for a second opinion to a Gyn/Onc and he did not feel that it was necessary to remove both if one ovary was perfectly healthy.  He's a specialist in this type of procedure so I definitely respected his learned opionion.  So, I had him do the surgery and he removed only the ovary with the cyst and the tube.  So, I'm left with one ovary to continue producing some hormones, and not at greater risk for heart disease and osteoporosis (I'm already starting to get Osteoporosis and removing both probably would have accelerated that)
This is very interesting, i have posted the same question in the past, and i am still not sure what to do, got to make my mind up by thursday though. The above sites suggested are very helpful. I think it's up to the individual and as said above individuals circumstances wether high risk or not.
I just went through a very similar decision.  My surgeon (gyn/oncologist) suggested removing both ovaries and my uterus while he's in there removing my one bad ovary and attached cyst.  I do have two fibroids in my uterus as well, but they're relatively small.  He said he felt 50/50 about whether to do the hysterectomy and it was up to me to decide.  Reasons to do it (according to him): to prevent cervical, uterine, and endometrial cancer.  Also, if I ever need to take hormones, I would be able to skip the one that increases the risk of breast cancer.  Also, I wouldn't have to worry about the fibroids growing. The reasons not to do it:  he gave me none, really.  I called my primary care doc and she felt strongly that there is no reason in my case to remove healthy organs, especially since I'm not at high risk for the types of cancer that would prevent.  As for the fibroids, she said we could watch them.  They will shrink as I approach menopause and I'm 43 now.  I have decided not to have the hysterectomy.  I just hope the surgeon remembers when he's in there!