Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Cyst/abnormal Pap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cyst/abnormal Pap

I have a question.  I had my yearly pap and it was discovered on pelvic exam a possible mass.  I went back for ultrasound and said it was a 24cm cyst.  Said my pap was abnormal too.  Could these be related?  Could this cyst grow this fast in a year?  I am post menapausal 2 yrs.  Had a few streaks in it, said it could be blood???? I know most cyst are benign but with an abnormal pap does that increase odds it is cancerous?
I am sorry to hear about your recent findings.  A mass that large must be very uncomfortable!  Is your mass truly 24cm and not 24mm?  If so, that is very large and needs immediate attention.   Surgical removal of your mass is definitely needed if it is 24cm.  The fact that you had an abnormal pap in addition to a large ovarian mass is more worrisome, but not conclusive for cancer.  Ovarian cancer can spread to the cervix and cervical cancer can spread to the ovaries.  But, an abnormal pap is very common and doesn't indicate cancer most of the time.  Also, there are many women who have large ovarian masses that are benign.  Most women diagnosed with ovarian cancer do not have abnormal paps, so that is not a red flag by itself.  The fact that you are post-menopausal slightly increases your risk for malignancy versus if you were pre-menopausal.  Cysts grow at different rates so it is impossible to tell how long it has been there.

Any mass that has a "possibility" of being malignant, warrants a consult with a gynecologic oncologist.  It is very important that you see one before your surgery.  Here are a couple of links that explain the importance of a gyn/onc:

http://www.wcn.org/articles/treatment/gynecologic_oncologists/overview/

http://oreilly.com/medical/news/ovarian_ten_things.html

What did your doctor say?   You should be scheduled right away for a MRI, CA-125 blood test and gyn/onc consult.   Do you have other symptoms?    Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Take care,

Shelly