Ovarian Cysts Expert Forum
Ovarian Cyst at age 50

Welcome to the Ovarian Cysts Forum. This is a place where you can ask your ovarian cyst questions and receive answers from highly trained physicians whose expertise is ovarian cysts. You will also find other members who share your interest in ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cyst at age 50

I am 50 years old, still menstruating, although in the last year or so cycle has shortened from 28 to 21 days.  Last month, bleeding became very heavy and did not stop after 12 days.  Went to gyn who did manual exam and ultrasound;  found a a 3cm cyst that he called a "functional cyst".  I am worrying myself about the possibility of ovarian cancer due to my age, having taken Clomid 17 yrs ago for 11 cycles, plus I am also having heartburn symptoms.  I always thought I could attribute the heartburn to certain foods, but now wonder if it is related?  Can you please tell me:
1.  What are the chances that this is ovarian cancer?
2.  What exactly are the "indigestion" symptoms that go along with ovarian cancer?  Does this include upper GI heartburn, or just lower abdominal discomfort/bloating?
3.  Does history of taking Clomid raise my risk of ovarian cancer?
4.  If a 3cm cyst does not resolve within 8 weeks, at age 50 would you recommend surgical removal?

Thank you,
Annie

I'm sorry to hear about your issues.  It is not uncommon for some women to have more heavy and irregular bleeding during the transition that is closer to perimenopause.  A 'functional' cyst is a 'normal' cyst of the ovary that means the ovary is actually doing its 'job' and ovulating every month.  It is probably unlikely that this cyst is an ovarian cancer and that your hearburn symptoms are related to your cyst, but continued follow up with your gyn is definitely recommended.  I've tried to help answer questions as below.  

probably low, but you should have continued follow up with your physician to be sure this resolves.  
sometimes the symptoms that go along with ovarian cancer are nothing and sometimes it is pelvic pain, bloating and nausea, with feeling full early on in a meal.  
there is a small possibililty that fertility treatments have been associated with ovarian cancer, but this can be debatable as well.  
if a woman is having pain and if the cyst enlarges or if looks worrisome, then surgical removal is recommended.  

definitely continue to work with your physician, it sounds like you are being well taken care of.  good luck.  

I am very interested in your story. I'm 49 and was discovered to have an ovarian cyst about 3 months ago. I went back today for my 2nd ultrasound and the cyst is still there and hasn't grown (I believe it's 2.5 cm) and now I have 2 additional smaller cysts.  They said my ovary wasn't very enlarged (I believe they said 4cm) so I guess that's a good sign??? Of course I don't really know anything except what I was getting from the sono tech - I won't see my dr until next week.  The tech did say the cysts were all fluid filled - that's good, right?  Everything I read says you're at a greater cancer risk after 40 and after menopause. I've had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and kept one ovary so  as far as I know I'm not menopausal - no symptons.  Needless to say I'm very worried about this and am anxious to talk to my dr  
next week.  Best of luck to you and keep us informed.
Sorry to hear you are having a similar scary situation.  I do think fluid filled is good, and also if the sono tech saw anything bad, I think she would have had you see the dr. right away.  It's very hard not to worry though, while you're in this waiting stage.

Good luck and please report back on how it turns out for you!

Annie
I will and you please report back as well.
I started a new post in this forum. I went to the dr yesterday and he wants to "wait and see". I'm a nervous wreck.  You?