Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cyst

Hi, all.  I'm 21 y/o (22 in May), & I was diagnosed with a 4.5cm hemorrhagic cyst on my left ovary.  For months I have felt awful.  My upper abdomen hurts daily (more upper than lower, it's distended & hurts along my rib cage), I am nauseous a lot of the time, & I feel worse after I eat.  Occasionally, I get pain in my pelvic region, but not nearly as often as my upper abdomen.  In Nov., I had an appendectomy, & I was told by my PCP & surgeon that my stomach pain was the result of the surgery (I had a ruptured appendix & spent a week in the hospital, so they assumed it was all related).  On Monday, I went to the doctor in extreme pain, & they immediately did a CT which showed the cyst.  I had an abdominal & pelvic sono done on Wed. which showed the cyst, but nothing else out of the ordinary.  I had not had diarrhea until Tuesday, & my stools are now loose & yellow.  I have also been urinating more than normal too.  All of my bloodwork came back fine.  I have no vomiting, but I tend to not vomit even if I have the stomach flu.  I have also had headaches everyday the past few days.  Hurts on my right side when I breathe deeply.  I am just exhausted.  

I go to see the gynecologist on Wed., but I'm wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms.  My gut instinct tells me that something else is going on (I'm thinking gallbladder b/c of my yellow stools) & that the cyst was found coincidentally.  Has anyone else experienced these same set of symptoms for an ovarian cyst?

Thank you all in advance!
Almost all of your symptoms (except yellow stools) are symptoms that can be associated with your cyst.  On the health pages (top right) you can see a complete list of those.  The cyst pushes on your internal organs and causes referred pain and can cause urinary and bowel issues, sciatica like pain, back pain, nausea, bloating, weight gain, swelling, etc.  Good luck with your appointment.  I think once you get rid of this cyst you'll be feeling much better.
Update: it was my gallbladder.  My gallbladder ejection fraction was 26%, & upon removing it, my abdominal pain & weird stools have gone away.  I have learned to listen to your body.  My instincts were right that it was not just the cyst, so if any of you have doubts that that is the real problem, push to get some other testing done.  And be aware that just getting an ultrasound doesn't always cut it.  I had to get the HIDA scan done to show that it wasn't working.  When in doubt, push the docs to dig deeper.