Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Cysts - Fluid in Cul de sac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cysts - Fluid in Cul de sac

Hello - I consider myself relatively knowledgeable about medicine but was without words when my doctor told me I had fluid in my cul de sac and that I should probably have my ovary removed.  I initially went in for extreme pain prior to ovulation and ultrasound revealed the fluid, also one 2cm cyst on each ovary, uterine enlargement, uterine thickened to 12mm.  I actually have two uteruses, the left uterus is thicker and that's the side that has ovarian pain.  I haven't experienced ovarian cyst difficulties in two decades, but my thyroid began to fail this year and I wonder if the cysts could be from that.  Also wonder - why would my ovary need to be removed??  Shouldn't the fluid just be drained?  Thank you for any advice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Decision to remove the ovaries depends on the woman’s age, symptoms and suspected pathology in the ovaries. A 2 cm cyst does not warrant removal of the ovary. The fluid can be due to cyst rupture or infection etc. If there is infection a course of antibiotics will be sufficient. Discuss with your Doctor.
Hope this helps.
Dear Dr. Wanjari - thank you very much for the reply, sorry mine is so late.  I agree with your statements and will question my doctor about the necessity to remove ovary.  I obtained a copy of the lab report in the meantime and it doesn't seem to me that anything is bad enough to warrant any surgery.  As a proactive patient, I will be on guard and remind other ladies to not jump on board with ANY type of surgery without checking it out first. Some doctors seem to think it's just easier to remove the organs to remove the problem, but ovaries are a vital part of health and I'd like to keep mine as long as I can.  Thank you.
I agree. I had an ultrasound that showed a cyst on both ovaries and free fluid in my pelvis.  The right cyst had ruptured and the fluid was from the contents of it. Your body reabsorbs it.  I had a repeat ultrasound a week later and there was no fluid. It's definitely good to be your own advocate and speak up!