Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Cysts and Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cysts and Hypothyroidism

I've been wondering about this since I read that there was a "connection" and I thought I'd ask you ladies.. our own little poll , although unscientific.for sure.... How many of us with Dx Ovarian Cysts also have been  dx Hypothyroidism? This may have been asked before, if so.. sorry for the repeat, but I missed it..

I have both. I was dx. with Hypo. 10-15 years ago.. Had Ovarian Cyst dx. last year..

Sandy
ty sandy i was wondering about the thyroid issue myself
i have not had my thyroid checked so thats another thing on the to do list
for my doc ty for bringing it to the forefront
love
sharon

no dx thyroid
I don't know if there really is a connection. I had just read about it and it seems I've read that a number of gals on here also had hypthyroidism.. Just curious....

Sandy
HI Sandy,
I was dx with cysts about 5 years ago, and hypothyroidism about 3 years ago.  hummm...Interesting
Just to let you know about my situation. I had a hemmorhagic ovarian cyst that burst last week...also have an enlarged uterus and will be having a hyst on Oct 29th. I did have my thyroid checked about 2 months ago. The initial test showed "some imbalance"...but they did a more involved test and then said it was within normal ranges. I am due to go back in to have it checked in about  a month. Would be interesting to see if there is a connection. Good luck. Lynn
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 8 years ago, cysts this past spring.  This is a very interesting topic to me.  I think I will have to do some research.

Sobermommy, do do some research on thyroid levels.  Some doctors and labs are using outdated levels and many women are told they aren't hypothyroid when they really are.  
Thanks...I will check into it. I had questioned how one test could show something but the next one says its fine. That is pretty scary to know you can't count on the test results.
So far this is really interesting.. Seems to me that there might be some sort of connection... what , I have no idea.. I don't know why one may have a causative effect on the other.. but I'm no Dr. .. Curious.. If anyone comes up with anything concrete, please post.. thanks,

Sandy
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism Aug 07.  Had partial hyster in Sept 07 keeping both ovaries.  During surgery, a simple cyst was drained.  Now I've been diagnosed with a 4.5 cm Complex Cyst and will be repeating transvaginal sonogram on 10-23.

Deadra
I did some digging and found this interesting post.
http://www.curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=608
You will see that on the 2nd link it indicates that hypothyroidism can be a cause of ovarian cysts.  When you go into that link there is also info on how iodine and cysts interrelate.  Very interesting.
Thanks for the link Trudie.. I 've also been doing some pokin' around about this. It would be interesting to know how many of our members are affected by this.. So far it looks like a fairy good percentage .. realizing of course this is not scientific. Have no idea what that will "prove" though, but it's interesting..

About 7 years ago I developed a large nodule on my thyroid that turned out to be a cyst. I saw a specialist and had it drained and the path report came back it was full of cystic material. My thyroid level were normal up until I went into menopause, and now there is a slight imbalance that showed up last spring, but my doctor said I don't need medication yet. I really need to get on her about repeating the tests again. My ovarian cysts developed around the same time as the thyroid cyst, so I find this subject very interesting. I've found that my GP's are always reluctant to do a complete endocrine panel as I was told my insurance company won't cover it unless there is a real concern by the doctor to order it. It seems to me that as women start to go into menopause, there should be a baseline endocrine test done so any changes down the road could be used for comparison.. I think when I see my GP in a few weeks I'm going to push for her to get the thyroid done again as now that I've had both ovaries removed it's really going to affect my hormone levels in general. I went for my post-op appointment today and told the surgeon that I've been very faint and flush at times since the surgery, and she said that it's due to the fact that I've lost all my estrogen now and my body is adjusting. This was a real concern to me before the surgery and why I had requested if it was at all possible that they at least leave me with one ovary. All my results were benign, and I kind of feel like I lost it for no reason. If there was a more definitive way to rule out OVCA then just removing the ovary and getting it looked at pathologically, it might save us at least the small amount of estrogen we have even after menopause.
Valerie
hypo thryoid symptoms normal tsh mulit goitor nodules  with ovarian cyst,  that is now suspicious it was a normal ca 125 /9 and now it has jagged edges so i am seeing a gyno onco  soon  soo havin hypo symptoms for YEARS and not treated  i had ovarian cysts most of my life had hysterectomy  at 30 rt salpingooph full of cyst and removed  and now 43 i'm having left ovary acting up, functional cyst now changed in 3 mos so i am also growing polyps in my stomach and my gallbladder was removed 2007 so far all benign
This is very interesting!!  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in August of this year (multiple nodules -6- bilaterally measuring 1 to 2 cm each).  Additionally, I have been having upper right side pain and slightly elevated liver enzymes since June 08.  Had abdominal CT scan in August (to check liver) and was told that I have fatty liver and ovarian cysts (minor notation on report).  Side pain has gotten worse and enzymes still elevated.  Had second abdominal CT scan to get a better look at liver and pancreas.  Was told everything looked okay (still have fatty liver) but the ovarian cysts have grown.  Was also told that the cysts (4 or 5  the nurse was not clear when telling me the results) are on my left and right ovaries bilaterally measuring 2 to 3 cm each.  Was also told that I have mild hypoglycemia.  So this makes perfect sense to me that the ovarian cysts and the thyroid nodules are connected.  I don't want to think that my body is just falling apart - I'm only 36!!  Though lately I feel more like 96!
Hashimoto's  hypothyroidism for 10 years.  1 large ovarian cyst showed up 4 years ago.  Multiple cysts in both breasts. I am peri-menopausal and now have a uterine fibroid.  What is the deal?

April from Minnesota
My thyroid has consistently tested normal, yet when I had an undiagnosed ovarian cyst, I was exhibiting symptoms of a malfunctioning thyroid.  Not sure if an ovarian cyst is capable of doing that, but in my case, I think it's possible. Everything went back to normal when the cyst was removed.  As far as I know, my thyroid has always been normal.
I am hypothyroid and when I had my cysts it went bonkers and back to my new normal after surgery.  I also have a fibroid and looks like another cyst brewing and possible adenomyosis.  Yes, when our hormones go crazy it can hit us from many different sides.  My Lupus also started flaring with my cysts.
It seems like the thyroid seems to be connected to a lot in your body.  I also have hypothyroidism.  I like others have cyst, a small fibroid and some fluid in my uterus.  Cyst in my breast and nodule in my thyroid.  High blood pressure and type ll diabetes in which has been connected also with thyroid I have.  
The old question I wonder is "the chicken or the egg".  What caused what first.
Looking for more information and any advise or similar experience. Have Hashimoto's for the past 3 years, was diagnosed with a semi-cystic nodule on my thyroid about 3 months ago and now for the first time in my life diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries about 12 + on each ovary.  Im 33 and mom af 3 children - feel im to yong to have all this drama where is it going to end.
Hmm interesting post. Even 2 years later! I have a large cyst just diagnosed on my left ovary. I had undiagnosed Hashimoto's disease for over 15 years! Makes me think...Are cysts just a common thing amongst women or is there a real connection and doctor's haven't noticed it?
Just bumping this one up since the discussion is current on the forum right now.
The thing with mine is I am diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism...and now I have developed this cyst. Sounds like most are hypothyroidism...but maybe having any irregularities in your thyroid levels can be related to these?
and I am wrong...I am hypo...makes more sense now...
Last year I was diagnosed with reoccurring ovarian cysts. My doctor put me on birth control to see if that would help (of course I had to try several different types until we found one that "seems" to be helping...Nuva Ring). Last week I had some routine blood work done and my thyroid levels were 3.38 and normal is supposed to be 2.50. now I'm certainly wondering if the cysts and the hypothyroidism are related and also if birth control is a contributing factor as well. From viewing this forum and other research it seems that it may be! However, why wouldn't my gyno think about testing my thyroid levels? And when I asked my primary doctor about the relativity of cysts and thyroids, she said I should talk to my gyno about it. I'm a bit disheartened right now. I can't get a straight answer. And whenever I tell my doctors that I have done my own research online, they give me this weird look, like I'm ignorant and shouldn't be doing that. My primary also said that more exercise and better eating habits may change my thyroid levels for the better. I have researched that as well and there is nothing on these medical sites that indicate that to be true! Should I be looking for another doctor? I really don't want to go on meds. I'm to get tested again in 3 months and I am intending on working out at least 4 times a week to see if that changes again. I am also going to talk to my gyno about this and see what she has to say. I'm glad I found this forum and women alike! thanks for reading and sharing!
ive been checked a number of times for hypothyroid but all blood tests are normal.  i saw a nutritionist and she advised me that it doesnt always show up in blood test. there is a way to check by taking your tempurature several days in a row, but i dont really remember how it goes. well i did that about 2 years ago and about 3 years before that and both times she said that showed i had hypothyroid. noe i have a cyst that is 5 cm on let ovary. im not sure if it can be found online how to do the temp thing but i will try to call and ask her and post it.
found the info. go to http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shames-basaltemp.htm  this link talks about hypothyroid and how to chech yourself. just take your temp several days in a row before getting out of bed if it is cosistantly under 97.8 you could have low thyroid. it would be nice to see what the outcome is. im curious!?!
I posted my story, now i'm growing fatty painful beady things on my fat tissue areas, on top of this my normal body temp 97.3- 97.7  which is a marker also!  i am multi nodual goitor hypo symptoms ..45 yr female full of ovarian cyst have 1 ovary now with cyst!
I am not sure if there is going to be a link between cysts and thyroid in all cases. Maybe in some.  The ovaries release hormones.  So does the thyroid.  I think cysts can disrupt ovarian function enough to create an imbalance that could be systematic enough to make one think the thyroid is to blame. I would like to hope this is a temporary condition caused by the cyst that can resolve when the cyst is no longer present.  
Have had hypothyrodism for 8-10 years. Developed multiple (10) uterine fybroids and had a hysterectomy 5 yrs. ago. Now am having dull to sharp pains in my lower right side (no appendix)m back aches, achy thighs, and sharp breast pains. I'm falling apart.
I had hysterectomy - removed uterus and cervix had RT salping oopherectomy  my rt ovary remove, i still have a left ovary so not sure if you have an ovary left on your RT side? you could have COLITIS diverticulitis adhesions  try wheat free diet  I have a wheat allergy now, less pain living on rice potato corn flour products..
your profile says your a MALE ??
guess i shouldn't have skipped through the profile part...anyway I have a dr. appt. monday. hope to learn something. I have both ovaries.
My vit D vit b 12 was running low with my thyroid issues my Blood work said, , making my body whacky pain, aches and  fibromyalgia symptoms but the vits helped me.  your breast pain? too much caffeine? chocolate? or hormonal? hows your mammos? fibrocystic breast? i had a ca125 blood test r/o ovarian cancer, 0-35 is normal mine was 5 and yr later 7 i have cysts on my ovary.
we need lotsa b vitamins.. i swollow L carnitin its an amino acid(b) used for increasing metabolism breaking down fats -cholestrol and in my case the fatty painful beads in my body. I still think you have a diverticulosis change your diet for a few days see if it quiets down , eat bland no greasy foods,no diet sugar /foods make me sick use stevia,agava,honey  for sweetner? i started with GRITS for bkf, oatmeal with straw jam lunch , supper mashed potatos used soya milk.rice milk try homemade soups no wheat in broth or MSG i find this broth and milk at a dollar store cheaper then grocery ..can't hurt i'm wheat intolerant, with allery testing.. keep us posted
I was dx with hypothyroidism and ovarian cysts at the same time. I don't know which came first, but I have both also.
Well...out of the frying pan into the fire...no cysts during by gyn exam, nothing new on the mamogram (mammogram)...but, my first colonoscopy showed a twisted colon from adhesions from my hysterectomy...so much so that they couldn't finish the procedure. I guess that explains the alternating diarrhea and constipation. I wonder now what?
I have had the Mirena for almost 5 years. I believe this to be the cause of my symptoms. I have been doing research lately. The IUD produces synthetic hormones and after a while your own natural hormones are either low or you have none at all.  Since you dont have any/low natural hormones your thyroid becomes over stimulated and seems to not work correctly. I believe since the IUD prevents regular ovulation, which also means it prevents a regular distribution of the natural hormones, that this has also caused my Ovarian cysts. The research says hypothyroidism develops slowly over a number of years which would make sense, since I didnt have any symptoms before the IUD. I was recently Dx with both, the cysts just a month ago and hypothyroidism yesterday.

This is just my story, I do believe them to be related, but I think mine came from my Mirena IUD.
I am getting into the doctor ASAP to have it removed, and having more tests done as for the thyroid issue. The doctor says the cysts should go away in a few months.
Wow!  This is very interesting.   In 2004 I went to the hospital for severe lower abdominal pain.  It wasn't appendix because that had already been removed back in 1987.  The hospital said it was most likely an ovarian cyst and it would go away on it's own.  The pain did go away and I didn't think any more about it.  In 2005 after a cold and using Zicam nose spray, I developed pain in my neck, I thought it was an infection. Went to the doctor and was put on antibiotics which didn't work.  The pain became excruciating and my heart pounded very hard, I had tremors, had headaches and feel like I was going to pass out. My right thyroid enlarged 2 1/2 times normal size.  Went to emergency and several doctors.  They never figured it out, but told me I had a nontoxic multinodular goiter.  I did the research online and realized I was having severe thyroiditis!  I nearly killed me but doctors never put the pieces together.  Then they labeled me and wouldn't listen.   I had my right thyroid removed in 2006 and it helped but I'm stilling getting painful flare ups in the neck.   I'm still fighting doctors for answers but I'm thinking I need to ask for an ultrasound of the ovaries now as I'm having lower right achiness.
I found this thread by googling...and I'm glad that I did! I'm currently going back & forth to the doctor's office trying to figure out what the crap is wrong with me! I suddenly started having irregular periods last fall. Out of no where I skipped four months, and then it returned to normal until I missed again last month.  Important to note that while I'm having these irregular or missed periods I feel horrible: nausia, diarrhea, intense hot flashes, perhaps fever (not sure, haven't felt like checking during this horrid time)...triggered migraines, severe mood swings, and extreme fatigue.

About a year ago, before I missed my period for four months, I started growing coarse chin hair that started with a single hair that I could pluck to a field that I have to shave every night or I have a 5 O'clock shadow!  Also, pubic area hair began "traveling" down the thighs and up the lower stomach area...leg hair has gotten thicker, etc.  I feel like I've been transformed into a pubescent boy!

Oh, and also...my left ovary has sharp radiating pains occasionally that can double me over.  Oh...and another thing...chest pain...and "electrical" pains in my left breast that takes my breath, and gets much more intense if I move during them.

At my first visit, they took blood & urine...both came back fine.  They seem to suspect hypothyroidism, so the next visit they took more blood to send off to check T3 & T4 levels.  I go back to get those results next week.  

I'm a mess, and about 90% of the time feel like a sixty year old woman...and I'm only 31.  I have had one child, ten years ago, that was delivered by C-section...if that is relevant.

I apologize for the poor grammar, it is late..and I'm tired...oh...I'm always tired. lol
I would def get a new PCP. There are no exercises or diets that help control your thyroid. I am experiencing the exact same problems. I have had three ovarian cysts in the last year. I have been on BCP for the past year. I found out this week I have the beginning of hypothyroidism. About 6mths ago, my TSH was 3.5 and now its 6.5. There has to be a relationship between the two. I have an apt with my PCP this week. Keep you posted.  
Hi. I am an internal medicine physician at the University of Florida. I came across this post researching the question for a patient I am about to see in clinic with the same concerns. The endocrinologist I am working with said unequivocally that there is no syndromic relationship between hypothyroidism and ovarian cysts. It does seem suspicious that so many of you on this board have issues with both however I wonder if the relationship is simply coincicental. Hypothyroidism and ovarian cysts are both extremely common medical problems that tend to develop around the same age so the relationship may not be explained by a simple cause and effect model. FYI- the endocrinologist is not planning on doing anything different for my patients ovarian cysts and hypothyroidism that would be done if either was present by themself. Hope this helps
I have self diagnosed with Hashimoto's as I have all the symptoms. TSH of 5.01 and TPO antibodies of 5.3. My doctors disagree but have given me a trial of Synthroid. I also have developed an ovarian cyst on one of my ovaries and suspect there is one now on the other as well, to be confirmed by ultrasound tomorrow. It sounds like there is a very strong correlation here.
i am a house wife age having age 44.. i  last week was admitted to hostipal due to heavy periods. i am going through thyroid too. doctor said i have sum cryst... my liver is fatty too.. doctor is preparing for DNC .. but i think the problem will still be their ..  need sum suggestions..
Oh wow! I have had ovarian cysts since my menstrual cycle began, I am 35. At age 30 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Now 35 full blown hypo and a lot of hormone probe growing up! This has wow'd me.
I found out that I have hypothyroidism 2 years ago, my THS was very high 58.0. I started taking Synthroid 1 and half years ago. Now my level is at 2.0. I too have developed a cyst on my right ovary(2.8cm). Also have a large cyst in my uterus as well and 3 small cysts on my kidneys. There seems to be a connection between the two. I have read in other articles that estrogen may play a large roll in the two. Has anyone found any correlation between these. I think further research needs to be done. I am 50 years old and have been in great health until now. The cyst were found through a CT scan of the pelvis. I have pain in my right side and lower back. And I fell full and bloated much of the time. I go for an ultrasound Monday to look at the cyst on my ovary. Ovarian cyst are very common in women that are close to menopause. Since I started taking the synthroid my cysts have got larger and more painful. Not sure if it is the estrogen levels in my body or the synthroid and hypothyroidism. I hope that someone can figure this out.  I wish everyone well and hope you feel better soon.
I had a CT scan a few wks ago which revealed a cyst on my right ovary, then when I got 2 ultrasounds last wk( inside and outside) they couldn't find my right ovary at all. I'm also hypothyroid and have pernicious anemia as well.  I do see a pattern
I was having some right upper abdominal pain, so I call my gp to set up an appointment thinking I might have a stone. I looked at a privious CT report that was run around 1 year ago after I had an acceident. my spinal CT had shown some small thyroid nodules (only MM). And my abdomen had a granuloma in the spleen, no other pathology. I was not told about the nodules at the time. When I went to my appointment at my GP, I made a mention of my findings as was met with hostility and she ordered a thyroid Ultrasound. and a Renal Ct.The US showed that the nodules had grown four times their original size and that I had ovarian cyst one 2 cm and the other 3cm. Her nurse call and told me I had to go to some specialist. In the last year I have put on 20 pounds and have energy loss.
I have hypothyroidism (hashimoto's disease) and here is what I know: When my thyroid levels are low or on the rise I sometimes get cysts in the fatty tissues of my pubic area (subcuteneous).  I would assume that by logic this can extend to my insides (or came from within in the first place) and affect my ovaries.  I did have a lot of fatigue for years before I was dx with hypo and through I was just lazy and severely depressed but my life has changes a few months after starting thyroid I am a different person. But that's when the cysts started (but not in my ovaries to my knowledge but I will keep a look out!).

We tend to underestimate the power of our hormones.  They affect our brain and in fact this is why women are significantly more prone to get a divorce after menopause.

Cysts to the pelvic region or ovaries are very likely hormonal but whether or not we should blame the thyroid directly is hard to say because our hormones are extremely complex and there is a domino affect any time one goes out of whack.  As to the bigger picture these thyroid and ovarian problems are most likely to be caused by general autoimmune problems which you will notice does not stop there; it's an epidemic in the western world and more and more people are developing a host of autoimmune problems such as digestive problems, allergies, skin conditions, fibromyalgia PCOS, etc.  It's all under the same umbrella of something big Pharmaceutical companies can invent new drugs for.  Yes we are putting bandaids on the problems as fast as we can get out our wallets.

We all need to ask why this is all happening. Some experts theorize and there are studies indicating it could be due to the extremely sterile environments we now live in.  Our bodies have started attacking themselves (which is generally what hypothyroidism is as well as allergies etc) because our immune systems need "germs" to fight and since none are present as they have been for millions of years the systems are malfunctioning.  The immune system is tied to all other systems, the endocrine system being one of them.  

I do believe most people with CFIDS (chronic fatigue, fybroyalgia, PCOS) are in the same boat with regards to having a generally whacked out immune system.

If you go to countries like India where it's next to impossible to live in a sterile environment you simply don't hear about the same waves of autoimmune epidemics (although they do have their own).

Where are the experts doing the public a favor and getting us answers? Too bust playing golf and treating one patient at a time to look at the bigger picture?  My mom worked for the CDC so I know what a joke that organization is.  

My advice to all of you is to see a reproductive endocrinologist which is somebody familiar with both thyroid and ovarian function. And try to trust them.

It is absolutely imperative that you get your TSH checked and get it stabilized.

Other than that, until we clean up our corrupt two party system in the united states, expect your interests to go unheard where they need most to be addressed.

TAsha

I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts in 2008 to which I had a laparoscopy to remove them and was able to get pregnant right away. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and prescribed medication. I just found out I have a complex ovarian cyst and doc wants me to do an MRI to make sure there is nothing else there. I have been trying to conceive these last few months.
im 26 years old....... i suffered with pcos for 3 years its started when i had my c-section ,they found a 4cm cyst on my left ovary and removed.. which is abnormal to have  cyst when your pregnant for one, on another note a year later my gyno found a 11cm cyst on this same ovary they opened my c-section scar and removed just the cyst, 6 months later my left ovary began to fail and had multiple cancerous comlex blood filled cysts(i have had 3 miscarriages) they once again opened my c-section scar and removed the ovary which come to find out my fallopian tube had wrapped itself around the ovary it didnt strangle it its grow into my ovary.... i was told that my right ovary would take on both duties.. bull sh*t!! it has been 4 months since my full hysterectomy, they found multiple cysts on my right ovary with adhesions and my uteris was not flushing so my period blood was not from my uteris but my ovary was somehow bleeding out... mind you i was diagnosed with hypo thyroidism at 23 and was put on synthroid.... after my hysterectomy my thyroid blood tests came back normal, but when i was having an mri they found my thyroid was calcyfying.. which was only part true i have a 4cm tumor possible cancerous it has grown from 3cm to 4 cm in 2 weeks... im going in for a right lobectomy this wednesday but im hoping the dr will listen to my prayers and take the entire thyroid ( the only reason i want a full tt is because all the false hopes i was given on my ovaries) i went for a pap smear today and as the dr was doing my first breast exam ever he found a huge, solid, abnormally feeling lump!!! these things are all linked together!!!! im also reactive hypoglycemic!! your thyroid deals with your entire endocrine and almost all hormonal and vitamin balances!! these are all linked together by a brca gene!!!! i can barely get up in the morning ,... thats if ive even been able to sleep at night, my voice,, which i use to be able to sing has diminished, i can hardly swallow and im in so much pain from this tumor its unreal, yes they did the fine needle biopsy and all the tests came back different... and another thing since i had a full hysterectomy which sends your hormones into either shock or a full on mess , also is a leading cause to breast cancer!! and my thyroid did not have this tumor until after my hysterectomy!! if you read this carefully you will see how they all tie into each other.... ive had a really hard last 4 years... ive lost 3 babies, lost as to what i call my womanhood , or as some my refer my duties as a woman, now im waiting my ultrasound for my breasts which is also the same day of my lobectomy.. my grandmother at the age of 34 had breast cancer and had a full mastectomy!! pcos, hypo or hyper thyroidism, endometriosis, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer are all tied into each other , having one surgery on a hormonal organ will most likely set another hormonal organ into full on HELL....!! im still going through the horrible hot flashes and up and down mg estrogen doses changed monthly due to swollen feet burned hands, hot flashes, and cold flashes (due to thyroid issues)!! i also found out in a very horrible way im allergic to synthetic progesterone!! as of today im an emotional wreck!! but im posting this to help all women no matter what age to get pap smears, vaginal ultrasounds, thyroid blood panels, breast exams yearly!! if one hormonal organ fails, your most likely going to have problems with another!! --cancer survivor and still breathing and believing in HOPE!!
Hi I have have had Hypothyroidism (diagnosed and treated with Oroxine for 30 years). I have just been diagnosed with a cyst on my ovary and I am postmenopausal. Why haven't my doctors checked Google. No-one has mentioned there may be a connection Barb
(