Ovarian Cysts Community
Ovarian Cysts and Stopping the Pill

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cysts.

Ovarian Cysts and Stopping the Pill

I have recently stopped taking birth control (pill) after about 8 years.  I had an ovarian cyst removed when I was 19 from my right ovary.  Since then I have been on the pill non-stop.  I stopped taking the pill about a year ago, and ended up having to take the morning after pill almost 1-2 months after stopping the pill.  The morning after pill supposedly caused a follicle to fill with blood, again on my right ovary.  This caused me a lot of pain, and I had to have laproscopic surgery to take care of the small follicles.  Since then, I have been on the pill again.  The doctor said that I don't need to be on the pill to help prevent ovarian cysts.  Well, I have stopped the pill again, about year after my second surgery.  I have been feeling a lot of pain again on my right ovary.  I am wondering if I have developed another cyst/follicle.  It has only been about two weeks after stopping the pill.  I am not sure if it is scar tissue that causes the pain, or maybe the pain is due to the fact that I am ovulating again.  Or, like I said, maybe I have another cyst.  I want to be free of birth control, and free of cysts.  I am not sure if I should head back to the doctor to have it checked, or just wait it out.  The pain comes and goes, but today is quite strong on the right side, even when I touch the area.  Please help!

Thanks!
I was on birth control for over 20 years, never had a cyst. I do have a large fibroid that kept growing while on the pill. I went off the pill a year ago this June, in September they found a complex cyst in my right ovary, I had a fu US a few weeks later. It had shrunk but then there was a simple cyst now on the left. I do believe the pill had protected me at the time. So I  guess my hormones are all over the place now, I'm 51 and starting menopause. Hopefully this will all stop someday. So if you are prone to cysts you may just keep getting them. I know the simple cysts come and go... have to watch the complex ones though. Take care and just keep an eye on them..
hi

yeah, i went to the doctor, and they did find another small cyst on my right ovary.  it is supposed to be too small to warrant surgery, but i am in a lot of pain, and i am expected to just live life like this.  i don't understand how i am supposed to just go on with so much pain.  it seems birth control is the only thing that keeps me from getting cysts.  but what about when i want to have a baby, what then?  i feel very down about this.  i don't want to take birth control forever, i want to be natural and normal one day.  anyway, i guess i just have to stay positive.

I can very much understand how you would feel.  I do know of women who went off the pill after having cyst issues in the past and still went on to have successful pregnancies.  You just need to have a good gyn that you trust and who will work with you.  It is even possible that the shock to your system from the abrupt changes to your hormones from stopping the pill is causing the cysts.  I wonder if once the one you have either resolves itself or is removed if you stay off the pill if you might get to feel natural and normal.  Good luck with everything.